Is it normal for a high st bank to refuse to exchange bank notes ?

Comments

• Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    you can just go to a local shop and they might exchange for you if its a small number?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How much we talking about here ?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    How much we talking about here ?

demonted wrote: »
    I don't bank with Barclays Bank but I made a withdrawal from a ATM within the branch.

My withdrawal consisted mainly of £5 & £10 notes and as I didn't want so many 5s & 10s, I asked the human bank teller to exchange them for five £20 notes.

However, the teller asked whether I banked with Barclays and when I said I didn't, she refused to make the exchange, even though I explained the notes came from the Barclays ATM; she was even sat next to a open draw full of notes ?

So, was the bank teller just being awkward or is there some kind of preposterous banking rule I'm unaware of; it's not as if I was attempting to make a deposit into a bank I don't bank with.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It's the first time I've received so many 5 & £10 Notes from a cash machine.
    The whole point of using a cash machine is convenience; Barclays Bank was closer than my own Bank and l had no idea of what domination the cash machine would dispense money; in all the years I've used cash machines, I've received £50 of £5 Notes.

Yeah, now I know what domination that cash machine dispenses cash I won't use it again to withdraw more than £30; even then, I'd only expect such an amount to contain 2 fivers, not 6.

However, my gripe is not the operation of the cash machine; it's the reluctance of the Cashier or Banking protocol not to simply exchange my cash, especially when there's an open draw of cash right next to the Cashier and I can't understand why so many forum members see this as acceptable and see myself as the one expected more than I deserve.

And whether a billion years old or not, in the past, although maybe 6 or 7 years ago and longer; I have exchanged British Bank Notes for smaller or larger Notes and Coins at Banks, the Halifax, when it was a Building Society and the Post Office; most recently, even at Morrisons Customer Service Desk; on each occasion without issue or refusal.
    I think post #7 has already answered that satisfactorily. So many people just refuse to move with the times and this causes the surprises that you speak of.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • demonted
    demonted Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think post #7 has already answered that satisfactorily. So many people just refuse to move with the times and this causes the surprises that you speak of.

Moving with the times; it's forum members who accept the Banks refusal to exchange my Notes in such a circumstance who want to move with the times.

High street Banking, especially that branch, with its luxury seating and decor, is meant to be a customer focused industry, an industry which doesn't alienating people or its potential customers; which is normally common courtesy within such an industry and not my old fashioned expectations or values.

How much are we talking about;
    The ATM actually dispensed £50 in £5 Notes and 50 or £60 worth of Tenners.
    If the ATM has to dispense £5 Notes, two would of sufficed.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,236 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    High street Banking, especially that branch, with its luxury seating and decor, is meant to be a customer focused industry, an industry which doesn't alienating people or its potential customers; which is normally common courtesy within such an industry and not my old fashioned expectations or values.
    Solution: Become a customer
    You've been given valid reasons why the bank couldn't exchange your notes in a previous post, which you've already acknowledged
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No - it's times that have actually already moved...

Banks have to balance common courtesy against the very significant risks associated with various forms of financial crime. This is a risk they aren't going to take. (And you're not one of their customers)

Some people actually like a lot of fivers. Would you have preferred a message saying no cash available if it didn't suit your denominational mix?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 July 2018 at 1:33PM
    Westie983, thanks for such a succinct reply.

No problem, I understand that in the past you may have been able to just swop notes over and this is of course true, but changes in the banking industry and the tightening of procedures and practices due to money laundering and unauthorised withdrawals, new rules were put in place.

I hope you were able to get the notes you required by using your own bank.

Reading back through the posts and replies as others have said times have moved on and you were not a customer of that bank, but can I ask if you used the ATM that only dispenses £10 and £5? this could explain why you got dispensed more £5 then you expected.

Many people miss the sign on the ATM that says this machine only dispenses £5 and £10 notes.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    On a little side note, can you all please respect forum replies even if its not what you wanted to hear, we are all here to help each other.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I personally find the idea of "luxury seating and decor" in a bank to be hilarious, having worked in one it was a little more Argos Value than Harrods.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family