NST June 2018 A JUNE ODESSEY (Staycation)

NST June 2018
A JUNE ODESSEY
A Staycation
Getting into debt is much easier than getting out of it. We turtles have rejected the notion that possessions make you happy. We give up fleeting pleasure in favour of debt freedom and having the life we always wanted. We help each other, encourage and console when times are hard, celebrate one another's victories.

Achieving debt freedom brings new challenges. All turtles have life challenges - too little money, work, children, study, ill health, support for other relatives, everything from pregnancy to bereavement. All of these and the decision to follow 'a differnt path' can bring stress at times.

Last month apple emphasised the value of Consistency. This month is all about making things better. We all have things we do well, we all have areas where we can improve. I want you all to make subtle changes (baby steps), develop good habits, ditch the negative (negative self talk, stress, mental turmoil). I am not asking you to do more, I want you to do less. Simplify, slow down, stop and step back. This does not mean that the normal rules will not be in place, I will admonish you gently in my best Joyce Grenfell voice.

No turtle is in competition with another. Your only competition should be with yourself, getting closer to your goal every day. Turtles do not fail, we may occasionally miss a target but we do not fail. The only failure is in giving up and we always get up (it may be next month or a few months down the line but we get up). No turtle gets left behind.

Expect words of wisdom, thought provoking ideas and things to make you smile, bucketfuls of help and encouragement and
Lots of Fun

A Ask yourself 'Is this necessary?' Before purchasing anything. When you make a 'to do' list (is it realistic or even possible). I have noticed references to 'a pile of ironing' or 'the ironing mountain'. In my experience, most ironing is unecessary. You are not an Edwardian lady with a house full of servants to iron the linen and the newspaper. You aren't a fifties housewife (on amphetamines).

J June challenge runs from 1st June to 30th. You will aim for 20 NSDs (tough target) or 10 NSDs (soft target - if you are struggling, take the 'soft' target and exceed it). YS (yellow sticker, reduced items) alone do not lose you an NSD. Safety overrides other considerations therefore medical purchases do not count and petrol as we do not want tyou to be stranded in the middle of nowhere (applies to 'oyster' type cards where you cannot determine when you will need to top it up). Greent has a milk exemption (many hungry boys and a very small fridge). Other exemptions will be considered on their individual merits.

U Use the food you have in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to base your meals on. Meal plan (for the month or for a few days at a time, whichever suits). Cook from scratch (short cuts permitted if you are feeling stressed)

N No takeaways, coffee, chip or pie shop purchases. Do not use works canteen (unless free/ highly subsidised), vending machines. Take your lunch to work every day (same applies to hospital visits and days out). If your family has a regular event (eg film night) and includes a takeaway, this is permissible. Similarly if you are meeting a friend and a coffee shop is the only convenient venue (or a 'social event' for which you have a budget) that's okay.

E Eating well is a form of self respect. Give your body the fuel it needs and appreciate all it does for you. No specific rule but I can recommend the 'emergency banana' or small bag of seeds and nuts to prevent the rush for chocolate.

O Offer help and encouragement to other turtles and people you meet. Be kind to everyone, especially yourself.

D Debt or savings payments should be made first - live on what is left

E Exercise according to your programme or your ability. Minimum of 3 times a week. Try to get outside every day.

S Set all your budgets before the start of the month. Food, travel, social, diy, other.

S Someone, somewhere is worse off than you. Donate to the local food bank or other charity of your choice. Clear some of your clutter and donate the goods to charity. Now is a good time to check children's clothing (I would always turn too short/ holey joggers/ trousers into shorts). If your family is complete pass on your too small clothing to relatives, friends or charity. Sell it if it's 'designer' - and ask yourself why you paid so much for something that only fit for a few months and spent most of its life covered in sick or poo (sorry, that's judgemental).

E Every day check in is reccommended, especially when things go wrong.

Y You are the most important person in your life. You are your own longest term investment. You matter. Read this and the daily quotes, take on anything you find relevant and helpful, ditch the rest.

Go turtles
My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 June 2018 at 3:57PM
    Reserved for Contenders

1 mothernerd
    2 greent
    3 Kerry Woman
    4 laurenh1
    5 sashanut
    6 f0xh0les
    7 misstara
    8 Puddleglum
    9 swimminginaseaofdebt
    10 crazy cat lady
    11 LavenderBee
    12 Littleskintdragon84
    13 Toni'sfriend
    14 Dia Pita
    15 indigowarrior
    16 thriftylass
    17 Eager elephant
    18 DawnW
    19 cybertortoise
    20 apple muncher
    21 shabbychic12
    22 Dottydaisy
    23 Tropically
    24 gien
    25 bizzie
    26 Munchin
    27 LongTimeLurker18
    28 Fmess
    29 DizzyImp
    30 lindez
    31 x Raphael XX
    32 Calling14
    33 Moguline
    34 Dolly84
    35 nannygladys
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Count me in please, mothernerd - I am aiming for June to be a month of re-focus :) - ready for my (personal) half year review/ round-up (although nothing will stop me from ironing! - I actually use it as a form of down time - mindlessly working my way through a pile of crumpled things and turning them into crisply ironed items whilst watching something on catch up tv (often from the US and crime related :D) It soothes my soul :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Please count me in for June. Thanks.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My please mother nerd. I will aim for 10 NSDs as I am away for a week :)
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all :j

Count me in please Mothernerd - tkyou!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Can I join too please mothernerd.
    June's end is the half way point for a few of my evil genius plans. so a lot of this rings true for me.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Count me in too please :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Me too please. I'll go for 10+ NSDs as 20 might be a bit too hard core for me.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • Can I join in please? I'll be away for a week during June so won't be able to check in every day.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Me please mothernerd... I will go for the soft target and be kind to myself. I already feel incredibly guilty about getting into debt even though I'm dealing with a separation and divorce...
    but I will endeavour to stay on top of everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure