When does ‘tertiary ‘ education officially end?

I receive maintenance payments for my daughter from my ex and the court order says that payments stop on her 18th birthday or when she finishes ‘tertiary ‘ education, whichever is later. My daughter is 18 this June and finishes her college course around the same time. She has decided not to stay in education but to use her college qualification to get a job. I noticed that child benefit continues until September but is my ex required to continue with payments until the same time or will they finish on her 18th in June?

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2018 at 6:05AM
    Tertiary education is degree level so could be a long time if they go on to do masters or doctorate. Most Court orders specify until end of first degree.

In your case check the actual wording of the Court Order she can't be finishing tertiary education if she never starts it.

If the payments were via CMS then it would be the first Monday in September but if it doesn't specify it will be down to you and your ex to decide the interpretation and if unhappy ask the Court for clarification which won't really be worth the time or expense for 2 or 3 months payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure