NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Comments

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 April 2018 at 2:56PM
    Motivation for joining this thread is to get out of debt so that I can move me and the little one out of our one bed flat before he reaches secondary school age at the latest (which is not for another 9 years :rotfl:). I have defaults on my credit report which will drop of in 2021 so a move can't happen until after then anyway.

I've done my budget for May and set the following goals:
    • 12 NSDs
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals)
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys
    • Continue building the full and final fund
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool
    • Read as much as possible
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    NSD: Will aim for 19.

Donation: Will do this.

Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing.

Money: Will make extra effort this month. Really need to cut down on emotional spending and to think before spending.

Me time: This I really have to take note to take time out and rest. Look after my mental health.

Move: Will carry on with walking as much as I can.

Activation: Will look into this.

Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more.

You. Will look at ways to improve. Will be good for my wellbeing.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2018 at 1:26PM
    Hello,

can I join again please? I keep disappearing half way through the month and need to do better. Just had my 40th birthday party. Three months to the big race and 2 months to the remortgage. Need to get my financial and physical health sorted.

P.S. just read x_raphael_xx post and I like the minimalist game, will definitely give that a try. Found a box with five pashmina type things that I must've bought of eBay in different colours. I got so many other scarves and keep thinking oh I keep them in case they come in handy later, when I'm sixty?? So, declutter is needed.

Paid the CC off, put some into savings and did a very sensible ASDA online order for tonight. Off to a good start. Spend about a quarter of my grocery and spends budget but had to stock up on loads of stuff that should last beyond the first week.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Dorisd
    Dorisd Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Please add me, still at the beginning of my journey to debt freedom and I!!!8217;m sure this will help.
    🎊Debt Free 8 Jan 2022[/center]🎉
    Language Learners Chat- Portuguese
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi lovely Turtles

So I know it's technically April but my head has made the switch to May.

Motivation: we want to buy a home in the area we are currently based. We need a deposit of about 25k and we aim for the end of 2019. We currently save in two help 2 buys and with only one wage by the time mines gone on childcare it can feel a bit much. But it's the dream and it's doable.
    Money : we only have 128 pounds to live on this month,but fuel accounted for & my cupboards are full to bursting. Making things stretch will be the theme, using annual passes reduced shopping , free baby groups. We went to one today that gave us free bread & fruit they had from snack time. Even better :)
    Me time : this is always a challenge, but I read as a way of shutting off.more of this.
    Move: I will try to get outside daily. I. Fact once hub is home I can walk to Tesco to go reduced shopping.
    Activation: I am on the prowl for free things to do with my kids I took some battered bread from playgroup to feed the ducks
    Arm yourself : not giving in to consumerism& labels.
  • maitlah
    maitlah Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'd like to join please. We're saving to get married next year and are really trying not to fall into the trap of loans in order to create the fabled "perfect day".
    I've already cut our spending a lot but need a bit more motivation to make sure we're putting enough away to meet our payment deadlines.
    We're both school teachers so have a holiday at the end of this month which I can already see being an issue - we're always tempted to use the free time to eat out and go on trips etc. since we can't do those things really at all during term time.
    I hope I'll be able to stay committed to this and I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's advice and stories. Fingers crossed I can make it the month!
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Please can I join in this month.
    Off to read from the start and will post soon.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • Here for another month please x
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • Hello All

Can I join in please. This is just what i need. 21 NSD -hmmm maybe a challenge but thats why we are here

Thanks

BFF

1: [STRIKE]499.23[/STRIKE]
    2: 1876.21 3:600.00 4:6700.00
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Motivation - what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to get out of debt once and for all. I was in debt for the whole of my 20's and don't want my 30's to go the same way. I'll be 34 next week and would like to be out of debt by the time I'm 35. It's a big ask since I have over £9.5k to pay off and only my income coming in but I'm up for the challenge!

Money - know your income and outgoings. To the penny. I budget my pay down to the last penny but never quite manage to stick to it. Budget is done for May and my notebook is at the ready :)

Me time - I always struggle with this as I work far too much and am pretty much constantly sleep deprived, however, I've got a weeks holiday in May so will make the most of it.

Move - currently training for the kilt walk so trying to walk regularly. Also want to get back into running.

Activation - what spurs you on to keep on the path? Reading other threads on MSE definitely helps.

Arm yourself - stand strong in your personal quest against consumerism and the futility of always acquiring more. I shall do my best.

You - I will try and be more mindful of my surroundings.

The Rules:

19 NSD: Managed 18 in April so hopefully this is doable.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. Will do

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. Done

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries. Still to do.

Check in every day. Will do

Thanks for the challenge apple :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure