ClearDebtLimited and DRSP

bandicoot421
bandicoot421 Posts: 54 Forumite
edited 23 April 2018 at 11:50PM in IVA & DRO
I received a letter 21/04/18 from ClearDeptLimited claiming to have previous involvement as a former supervisor with my IVA and sending me papers to start collecting any PPI owed as an asset to my creditors, all very professional with details of my account number,dates of birth and addresses citing a Debt reclaim company DRSP who will recover any PPI for 33% no less.

The letter claims that ClearDeptLimited were my IVA administrators, they have not or ever been, i have not communicated with this company in any way previously. I have contacted my old IP to see if they have passed on my info or requested ClearDeptLimited to check for PPI. My IVA was finished early and settled in 'full and final' in 2013. My old IP confirmed this has nothing to do with them and i am confident they are 100% nothing to do with ClearDeptLimited , my IVA remains settled and closed.

ClearDeptLimited used the 'Green and Wright' legal case in there letter impacting on myself and requiring my attention, and even using the 'Arnold Schwarzenegger PPI' advert as a lever into panicking myself into signing over to DRSP to collect PPI, this is a SCAM and ClearDebtLimited are obviously attempting to make people with previous IVA history collect PPI.

I am going to refer ClearDeptLimited to the Financial Services Authority asap

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with PPI as the deadline for claims looms.

In this case i would ignore the letter, there is no penalty they can impose on you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, ClearDebt took over a number of IVA "books" in the last few years. If you were originally with a firm which then was taken over by ClearDebt then they have done nothing wrong, in fact they are legally bound to investigate such claims.

It may help if you were prepared to name your I.P. firm and I will be happy to tell you whether the above scenario is correct or not.
  • I have checked with my old IP they have not in anyway passed my information onto ClearDebt, and have not been taken over, still fully independent.

ClearDebt are posing as a previous administrators of my IVA and misrepresenting themselves.
  • Ok.

The FSA does not exist anymore, it is the Financial Conduct Authority, however I.P. firms are generally not bound by the FCA.

Should you wish to complain, maybe the Insolvency Service is a better bet for you, here is a link for complaints to them:

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insolvency-practitioner
  • Sezza26
    Sezza26 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have received the same ... along with 3 phone calls, 3 voicemails and 3 texts EVERYDAY for the last 3 weeks from Drsp. I did have a cleardebt associated iva... am I bound to comply because I have been iva complete and clear since 2014?!
  • bandicoot421
    bandicoot421 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hi Sezza26, i am still indispute with ClearDebt and at present the IP complaints body is dealing with my concerns.
    I followed this link from Doris Trousers : https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insolvency-practitioner, see above, i advised DSRP about the dispute and asked to cease all further communication, as i would consider further communication to be harassment, this worked and i have not heard from them since.

I cannot tell you if this would apply to you as you said you have some connection with ClearDept but asking someone post IVA to collect PPI appears to be a grey area
    and Sourcrates suggests there is no penalty they can inforce on you, all i can say is i decided to take this further to stop DSRP from falsely attempting to get PPI from myself and make sure no one else attempts to falsely claim to be my IP.

I am awaiting the decision from IPs govering body.
  • I'm not sure if anyone can help but I have been sent a letter recently from ClearDebtLtd and DRSP following completion of my IVA approx. 5 years ago. The letter stated that I should claim for mis-sold PPI so my creditors may benefit and that following a recent court case any money recovered would go to my previous creditor (I would not get any of the money but I may get £500 as "a gesture of goodwill"). I sent back the form and since then have been bombarded with letters from various companies (some of which I don't even think I had finacial dealings with). There have also been some legitimate offers of compensation amounting to several thousands of pounds and DRSP now need me to sign all this over to them. Is what DRSP doing correct? Does all this money go to previous creditors or are they just pocketing it all? I feel very uneasy about it all and wished I'd looked into it prior to signing the initial paperwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I'm not sure how this can help, I have been in consultation with the Insolvency Practitioner Agency over ClearDebt and DSRP contacting myself and it appeared to be a mistake by themselves as I never had a IVA with them, or administered by them, I have received an apology from DSRP for contacting me but I am still awaiting the apology letter from Mr Mond at Cleardept, I may be waiting sometime.

I presume your IVA was administered by ClearDept if not you could call them and refuse to have any further contact with them and report them, CleardDept to the IPA see link in my other posts if they have not acted as administrator for you IVA.
    My advice to anyone else getting these forms is call DSRP and ask them to stop hounding you whilst you take your case up with the IPA, this worked for me, don't collect and PPI as DSRP will take the lot and if you have none then they will charge you fees any way, it's in the small print,

Good luck, perhaps you can let us know what happens.
  • Thanks for the advice re the IPA. I'm also thinking of contacting the financial ombudsman service to see what they think. I wish I had thought more logically when they sent me the letter as when you think about it now it doesn't really make sense for a creditor to pay out compensation only to have it given back to them!

I do not want my creditors scammed and need to find a way to avoid this. I fear though that signing the original agreement is tying me in and need to get some advice on this as I am not entirely sure of the legal situalion. I'm not sure who could help with this though.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport