I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another £84 of returned goods and £57 worth of presents being bought off me.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

Another £70 paid off the Nuba. I checked my Tesco cc and it’s so nice seeing £0 balance. Nuba now stands at £1590.

I’m due to go out for dinner this weekend but am wondering if it’s worth just losing the £5 deposit paid instead of paying another £20🤔

Still haven’t been for a food shop but think I may have to go today. I’m hoping to spend less than £30. It becomes quite addictive challenging yourself.

We still haven’t heard from dh’s barclaycard so I’m assuming and hoping that his hasn’t gone up. Even if his goes up in six months time I’m hoping by then the minimums will be reduced. I’m just focusing on debt clearing as much as possible. I’ve been doing quite a few surveys lately.

Have a lovely frugal day.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember to keep debt busting balanced, if you have loads of outings planned then cancelling some seems sensible, if not and you cancel everything you may get resentful of it.

Some people might not agree and say no fun until it's all paid off but I couldn't do that. Maybe look at the crowd going , do you really want to go out with them , if not cancel .

Have a good day debtagh.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Remember to keep debt busting balanced, if you have loads of outings planned then cancelling some seems sensible, if not and you cancel everything you may get resentful of it.

Some people might not agree and say no fun until it's all paid off but I couldn't do that. Maybe look at the crowd going , do you really want to go out with them , if not cancel .

Have a good day debtagh.

Thanks, it’s funny you say that as they actually aren’t proper friends. I don’t want to be rude but we only know each other through past baby classes and meet up every so often with the kids but literally a handful of times a year. I just don’t want them to think I’m funny if I cancel but likewise I’ll be really annoyed if I go and I feel it’s rubbish. Due to mental health issues I’m not really enjoying things as much esp with ppl I barely know. I have other nice things with my family that I’m looking forward to.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is your answer then . Better to spend time with people who are friends rather than acquaintances .
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you are doing so well. I agree with CL in that you have to live a bit but maybe really only go to things you know you will have a good time at. At this time of year there is usually lots going on but not all get togethers are worth paying out a lot for. The £20s all add up so cancelling a few are saving you quite a lot and reserve your time and money for real friends rather than just people you know and are not likely to see again on a regular basis. I don't think anyone would think you are funny if you cancel as there is lots going on this time of year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

So if all goes well by the end of the week I would have managed to move some debt that is coming off 0% to 4.9% for 36 months and put some on 0% until July 2019. Whilst I know doing balance transfers isn’t ideal , I saw it as a better option than paying 16.9% Apr. They now make you pay the one off fee in your next statement rather than add it to the credit card which is good. It means deals ending next year will be just under £7.5k worth of debt rather than the over £20k like it was going to be. The idea ( all being well )is for this to get cleared. Once all the transfers are done I might update my signature to include individual debt.

I have a full days work today which should bring in £85 at the end of Jan. I still haven’t been food shopping in over a week and a half but really need to.

Have a good frugal day everyone.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doing balance transfers is ok as long as the deals are relatively long and you actually clear them so I do think you did the right thing in moving it considering the expensive interest you would be paying and the relatively high balances. Doing balance transfers and only paying very small minimums is self defeating. Paying the fee rather than adding it to the debt is also good. Have a good day.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Because I have to pay the transfer fees in Dec it means I’ll be short so am having to use the money I allocated for January. I’m not going to stress about it as things change all the time. Worse case I do have some savings that I can use.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Things do change all the time so I am sure you will scrape it together from somewhere. I know this has all been a big shock for you but paying higher minimums will make the debt go down faster so in the long run this is better for you once you have adjusted your budget accordingly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback