Start New Job - Redundant 3 Weeks Later!

A friend of mine left his old job of 10 years to take up a new position and just 3 weeks later he has been made redundant.

The redundancies aren't part of a redundancy program, it is just him who has been let go.

The role he was filling was a new one at the company and after assessing the position he took they have told him that they've realised they just don't have enough work for him to do to justify a full time position.

Can they do this or is he entitled to make any sort of claim against them?

Comments

• Yes they can do this. He would have only been in his probationary period and, during this time, they have decided either he isn't suitable for the role or the role isn't required. Either way, it's during probation and that's exactly it.

This isn't the same thing as redundancy.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Since April 2012, an employee needs two years service to qualify for protection from unfair dismissal. During this time an employer can dismiss for any reason or no reason at all (provided that the reason does not amount to unlawful discrimination).

So, on the information provided, your friend is not entitled to make any claim against the employer.

EDIT: Please note the CAB aim to respond to queries within two working days. As it is now the weekend, you are unlikely to get any reply from a CAB representative until sometime next week.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    A friend of mine left his old job of 10 years to take up a new position and just 3 weeks later he has been made redundant

Has the ex-employer backfilled his position? I'd high tail it and contact them to find out if there is anyway to return.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SLITHER99 wrote: »
    Yes they can do this. He would have only been in his probationary period and, during this time, they have decided either he isn't suitable for the role or the role isn't required. Either way, it's during probation and that's exactly it.

This isn't the same thing as redundancy.

No mention has been made of a "probationary period" and it doesn't really mean anything in law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure