Housing Benefit

Options
I'm a single mum and full time student getting full loans and grants. I get child tax credits. I heard I may be entitled to housing benefit for rent. Do you know if this is true? Thanks.

Comments

• enabledebra
    Options
    If you are a single parent you can claim housing benefit despite being a full time student but your income decides how much you are entitled to. Your special support grant, parent learning allowance, child benefit, Child Care Grant and some of your student loan is ignored as income and generally any Access to Learning Funds you get from your university are also ignored. Your Child Tax Credit and most of your student loan (except in july and august when the loan is ignored too) is counted as income for housing benefit- this usually means you will receive some housing benefit in term time and maximum HB in July and August. You can also claim either JSA (youngest child over 5) or Income Support (youngest under 5) in July and August.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello ItchyFeet1

You may be able to claim help with your rent but there are special rules that apply to students. This link should be able to help

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#if_you_are_a_student
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure