Wage issues

2»

Comments

• I'm doing the same thing next year as I'm fed up waiting for a pay rise that was promised in april and it never happened . all i got was a cost of living increase .
  • pipk62
    pipk62 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Where I work I am expected to carry out almost the same duties as another member of staff who earns over £5000p/a more than me.

But what is worse is that other members of our maintenance team, who are equal/less qualified than me, are paid what seems to be the basic rate, which is £2000 more than me!

To explain in greater depth...
    I have been working 'here' for almost 5 years, (the longest serving member) and presumed there was some sort of structure to he pay, I have been 'promoted' into a different job twice, without a significant rise in pay to reflect this, and only recently found out the differences in pay throughout the company.
    This was 1) by accident and 2) the employment of a far more superior (in experience and qualifications) 'line manager' who told me that he cannot consider that my pay is fair, and tried to get it changed.

I'll also explain that the small family run company was bought by a national company, and the dissolving of the 'kept-on' higher management reaches its finality soon, I am hoping to present my case to the new management when the old have left.

As this is a fairly new national company they seem to want to bring most things in-line throughout the group, but just in case my pleas fall on deaf ears I have now joined a union, as I feel I may need 'outside' backing on this.

The problem is they haven't (as far as I can make out) broken any laws, We are all in a similar age group, and all male, so the 2 equal pay (sex discrimination, and age discrimination) laws don't apply.

If I cannot get past my current pay structure, even with the possibility of tribunal action, I will leave, but I really hope it won't come to that.
    :think: :silenced:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport