<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Seaside, the plan is to have a cleaner when I am working but I need to declutter enough for them to clean
    Thanks brizzlegirl - lime and coconut cake from the freezer today

More done on the kitchen, and I made this pasta and chorizo dish for dinner. It was ok, apart from the general pasta (yuck) and cooked tomatoes (yuck).

I watered the tunnel myself tonight and realised that we had eight courgettes ready, and two accidental marrows :cool:
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am glad you are thinking of a cleaner in future. It will ease things for you:)

Yum, the cake sounds good :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Seaside, the plan is to have a cleaner when I am working but I need to declutter enough for them to clean

I'm trying to think how long that's been the plan for :cool: You just need to bite the bullet and get someone in next time you go back to work. I was putting it off, but I'm glad I did it - and mine started when I had builders! Even when it's chaos I at least know that the floors have been hovered/mopped/steamed, bins emptied, the bathroom cleaned and the worst of the dust has been dealt with. When it's not chaos she cleans the windows and deals with limescale and even polishes furniture...

Came home today to a clean and clean-smelling house. I won't see her for weeks now as I'm away so much, but I know that when I come back it'll be nice to come home to.
  • redofromstart
    I can pin the cleaner discussion down to when I increased to five days a week at work, only since then we haven't both been in stable employment at the same time. I'd hate to think how many times I would have had to let the cleaner go in that time.

Cashed out on quidco, secret survey and prolific - all small amounts but better than nothing. Plate spinning on SBs is minimal as they have cut the return.

Sorting the middle hall bookcases, remove, dust, discard or return. It's hard not to get distracted by books I haven't read for ages. Mind you in some cases that means they need to go in the charity shop pile so not all bad.
  • redofromstart
    There are currently over 40 books in the charity shop pile

_pale_ :eek:

shelves look much better for it, and now I can see the attraction of a space based rule for possessions. If it doesn't fit then something has to go to make space, rather than double stacking. This has meant things I have read and enjoyed but will probably never read again are leaving the building.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

shelves look much better for it, and now I can see the attraction of a space based rule for possessions. If it doesn't fit then something has to go to make space, rather than double stacking. This has meant things I have read and enjoyed but will probably never read again are leaving the building.

I do this with household possessions, dvds, books, clothes, make up etc. Anything new involves sacrificing something old I don't use or need any more. Cannot stand clutter and cleaning the house is so much easier without loads of stuff. All unused stuff goes to charity shops,sold on Facebook or gumtree or freecycled. Unless it is broken or damaged when it goes to the dump or put in rubbish bin.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I do this with household possessions, dvds, books, clothes, make up etc. Anything new involves sacrificing something old I don't use or need any more. Cannot stand clutter and cleaning the house is so much easier without loads of stuff. All unused stuff goes to charity shops,sold on Facebook or gumtree or freecycled. Unless it is broken or damaged when it goes to the dump or put in rubbish bin.

Are you me enthusiasticsaver? - apart from the fact that I don't use Facebook and I've a few clothes left still waiting for me to drop some llbs! :D But I couldn't agree more with your comments!

Well done with the books redo! I bought three paperback biography/history books yesterday - but there are going to be at least three other books leaving the house so that the bookcase doesn't get overly-cluttered!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Well done. I don't regret many of the books I've got rid of. And there are others I'm starting to look at and think... nope, don't want to read you again. But I still have plenty of bookshelf space!
  • redofromstart
    :hello: hello enthusiastic saver. I agree, but OH is a hoarder. I can get rid of my things, and the boys but not touch his stuff. Freecycle was a huge help on the last clear out, this time its finding the hospice shop with a car park.

Seasidegal - I struggle with the concept of 'the' bookcase. We have at least ten, and some of them are double stacked.

greenbee I've been looking to what is available for free on the kindle and then bagging my original copies. Worth searching on 'amazonclassics' in the kindle store and then low to high for the free ones.

The total currently stands at five 'bag for life' carriers of books for the hospice. They are in the car ready to take before anyone starts rummaging. I can probably find as many again in the next bookcase under the new, ruthless rules. A black bags worth have sadly been binned too, guess where the moths have been growing larvae? Shelves cleared and sprayed and the infected books are gone into the household waste sadly.

Still got nothing to read in the bath tonight :p
  • redofromstart
    Six bags of books and a big bag of misc stuff dropped off at the hospice shop. I'm trying to get on with the clearing so a few more books for donating have moved to the under stairs cupboard.

My hands are so dry from all the damp dusting and bleaching but its far too hot for rubber gloves.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback