PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pollycat - no - I wear trousers and tunic tops, year round! I think of handbags and think of Maggie Thatcher. :-D
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread.

That's not a bad price, although I do have a pair of flowered ones (bought from the local flea market for £2.00, but that was at least 30 years ago :D).
    I'm a DM fan myself so I feel your pain in breaking them in.
    The most comfortable pair I've ever had is Pamela Chelsea boots.
    There's several pairs on eBay right now that I'm not looking at. Honest.

£2.00? Now that's a decent price, even then!

I clearly need lessons from the people on this thread! :p

Mine are bog standard black ones designed to go with everything so I'm hoping to wear them All The Time once they stop giving me blisters! :o

Enjoy your not looking! ;)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    no handbag :eek: my goodness ive got loads love them tend to use a different one everyday to match my outfit :cool:

lovely buy on the dm boots...hope your breaking them in I had a look today got a nice viyella skirt for a quid will look nice with boots in the winter

hope everyone is finding some nice bits
    onwards and upwards
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another handbag fan here - would be embarrassed to count 'em :o

An early morning trip to the monthly hospice 'stock clearance' sale was very disappointing today.....well washed and worn out Primark stuff at a similar price to new Primark stuff.....pfftf to that!

An odd thing....called into the BHF shop on my way home and spotted a pair of very nice 'brand new', (according to the BHF label) Hobbs ankle grazer trousers in a stone colour and priced at £19.50. They had the Hobbs swing tickets still attached but clearly had been worn, as evidenced by the creases at the top of the legs and behind the knees!! Very odd. Not that I would have paid that much if they had been pristine anyhoo though.....just intrigued me!
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    I went to Chelmsford on Wednesday, and though I said I was on a no-buy I was a bit naughty and got a couple of pieces :o

A pair of taupey-coloured linen Betty Jackson Black trousers with a paper bag (?) waist and a wide leg- £7.99. These are brand new with all of the tags on them. Tbh I didn't think I was cool enough to pull these off so when I tried them on I was pleasantly surprised :j

A white, long sleeved The White Company top- £2.99. This is the softest thing I have ever worn so I am so happy with it. This would probably look really nice with the trousers tbh.

I'm going to try to avoid charity shops for the rest of the month :p
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Miro, I do wonder about some people's definition of brand new sometimes
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    no handbag :eek: my goodness ive got loads love them tend to use a different one everyday to match my outfit :cool:

I doubt you are the only one who has quite a few! ;) *Shamefaced cough*

lovely buy on the dm boots...hope your breaking them in I had a look today got a nice viyella skirt for a quid will look nice with boots in the winter

hope everyone is finding some nice bits

Thank you! I was really stressing as my old ones were falling apart and couldn't really afford some new ones so I was stressing about their replacements a little bit. Imagine that I then walk into a charity shop and see a pair in both the colour I wanted and in my size sat in the glass case at a price I could afford! :eek: :D :rotfl: :T

This was just before the hot spell, though, so I still need to break them in. I had better get on with it before the weather breaks properly and I need to wear them out and about! :cool:
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

Thank you! I was really stressing as my old ones were falling apart and couldn't really afford some new ones so I was stressing about their replacements a little bit. Imagine that I then walk into a charity shop and see a pair in both the colour I wanted and in my size sat in the glass case at a price I could afford! :eek: :D :rotfl: :T

his was just before the hot spell, though, so I still need to break them in. I had better get on with it before the weather breaks properly and I need to wear them out and about! :cool:

They simply had your name on them. ;)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Perhaps the creased Hobbs trousers were made like that. I've seen similar in "proper" shops, alongside the ones with torn knees (and even more ghastly totally shredded legs) - apparently it's fashionable to look like you haven't got (a) two ha'pence to rub together, and/or (b) any sense of decorum!

I've been lucky with outerwear recently... discovered a penchant for Regatta rainproof jackets since abandoning hope that those packaway ones will actually work. Too many times pulling off the hood after being out in a shower to find my hair in rats tails and soaking wet.

I found a summer weight one in a Hospice shop a couple of weeks ago for £4.50, that has been really useful already. Then the other day in a Barnardos that sells all clothing for £1.99 I found a heavier one that looked brand new, and for £1.99 I had to have it. So I'm kitted out for all seasons now for £6.49 :T .

The funny thing is, they are both Regatta but the first one is size 12 and the other is 16, and they both fit me fine. I'd recommend trying before you buy with that brand as it seems quite variable.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Take a bow, small BHF for selling them to me for £49.99 instead of £125.
    _pale_ faints with shock

I fulfilled my chaz-void this afternoon and treated myself to a good browse. I bought a Per Una blouse for £1, and a BNWT Wallis summer dress for my sister for £5. I also picked up a couple of these for 95p each, v heavy and will come in handy...although I'm not entirely sure for what, atm:

20243-2394_1000.jpg

And another 14 books, of course :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure