PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    In: YS salmon and cod - I'll cut it into portion sizes and freeze it; a whole chicken - again I'm going to cut it up into portions to use separately, not sure atm whether I'll do that first or freeze it first...; Tesco olive bread (I'll slice it then freeze it)

Out: nothing
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out to lunch yesterday so I finished off some tinned tuna and mayo later.

Lunch today pork pie with tomatoes and olives for me and added bread and butter for OH which finished a wholemeal loaf.

Supper today YS salmon en croute and finished the green beans, broccoli and carrots, no fresh veg left now:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're doing so well, inspirational :)

If you want to reply to loads of people in one post, click on the balloon icon to the right of the 'quote' button on each post, then click on 'post reply' and you'll have all of the posts you've selected and you can reply to each one, if that makes sense :)
    My freezer is still quite full (to be fair, I have got rid of a fridge freezer so it's amalgamated :p), but it's starting to get harder to find meals out of what's left now - most of the meat and fish has gone and it's mainly frozen fruit or bread-style bits, taken about 6 weeks to get to this point so can't be bad though :)

Out: Ready meal, several pitta breads, fajita wraps

In: Loads and loads of blackcurrants from parent's garden :D

Thanks for the advice on replying to posts: I'll know if I've got it when I post next.
    Really coveting your blackcurrants. I managed to barter for some more courgettes and some gooseberries yesterday, which I didn't have to pick myself, so that was good. Going back today to pick some blackcurrants, as the weather is cooler. Last night, whilst watering the plants, the dog "helped" me pick some stawberries that I have grown in pots. He gave himself away as his face was covered in the juice and the calyx were still attached to the plants! Greedy mutt.
  • mrssd
    Options
    I've a feeling it is going to take me longer than 6 weeks to clear the pile of stuff in my freezers, but the store stuff is going down really quickly. I need to tackle the indoor kitchen cupboards sometime, as they are also bulging with stuff:o None of it is too old, though (I hope)!
  • mrssd
    Options
    dannie wrote: »
    Hi, just finished all of my 3 batch cooked recipes that I set as my weekly mini challenge. (Just went over by two days). The oldest were made in January 2018 and the others, I think, last Spring.

Will go and pick some more black currants now and think of what next is best to do, regarding using up food "stocks".

Dannie: I resolve to LABEL all batch baked stuff before freezing from henceforth! That "could be spag bol or chilli" I took out the other day turned our to be curry - and it was horrible. Probably had been there too long. Still, the OH ate it and he's suffered no ill effects.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice on replying to posts: I'll know if I've got it when I post next.
    Really coveting your blackcurrants. I managed to barter for some more courgettes and some gooseberries yesterday, which I didn't have to pick myself, so that was good. Going back today to pick some blackcurrants, as the weather is cooler. Last night, whilst watering the plants, the dog "helped" me pick some stawberries that I have grown in pots. He gave himself away as his face was covered in the juice and the calyx were still attached to the plants! Greedy mutt.
    Looks like the multi quoting worked :)
    Aww bless your dog! My dogs 'help' with fruit picking too, my cocker saw off most of the low hanging Victoria plums, and my pug (who will eat anything, never known anything like it, I thought our old labrador was a canine dustbin, but he's been totally outdone by a piggy pug :rotfl:) has also polished off all of the bramleys he can, as well as eating the chives and actually chewing the garlic chives to ground level level :eek:

My sister gave me 2 blackcurrant bushes which she'd grown from cuttings of hers, so I'm hopefull for my own crop next year
    mrssd wrote: »
    I've a feeling it is going to take me longer than 6 weeks to clear the pile of stuff in my freezers, but the store stuff is going down really quickly. I need to tackle the indoor kitchen cupboards sometime, as they are also bulging with stuff:o None of it is too old, though (I hope)!
    My freezer is still so full that I have to be careful that the door is properly shut, it's just that the quality of what is there is going down! Well, I've got loads of fruit and veg which is good, but loads of odd things like small pots of left over gravy or a bag of cake crumbs or left over Chinese chips :rotfl:. I've still got loads of pitta bread, fajitas, odd rolls etc which I'm trying to get through and find ways to use up the other stuff.

I need to defrost the freezer as it's quite frosted but i need to reduce what's in it, it's too much to cope with!
  • mrssd
    Options
    OUT: chicken breasts and I'll make a Sicilian sauce with some tinned toms and a jar of Baba ganoush from store that needs using for tonight. Might stick a couple of anchovies in as well for good measure and then freeze the rest of the jar. I'll stuff a couple of Romano peppers that want using to go with it - possibly with couscous and a bit of veg. OH doesn't like couscous, but will eat it if it is well seasoned with other stuff.

One of the older allotment holders told me that everyone's courgettes have done really well this year and that I could have as many of his as I wanted to pick. He'll happily take something from the freezer for his tea tonight in exchange and isn't fussy how long it has been in the freezer! I can't palm him off with something that even I don't know what it is, can I? So, I've taken out a lasagne that was put in last week in exchange.

I came across a really good recipe for courgette fritters in yesterday's Grauniad. The comments below give some good ideas for variations and, as I have quite a bit of feta, I'll make some up and freeze them. There are always good food ideas in there.

Right. Mutt wants out.
  • mrssd
    Options
    Just back with the Bejam (Bejam Freezer = Bichon Frise), a carrier bag full of courgettes and around 4lbs of gooseberries. The allotment holder, (I'll call him "Joe" after my favourite uncle), was delighted with the lasagne and has put in a request for a pot of gooseberry jam when I get around to making it - probably this evening. His wife died 5 years ago and she used to make it and he misses it. I assume he misses her, also. If I throw in a cottage pie (there's 4 in the freezer!) he'll let me have some blackcurrants tomorrow, which he will pick. I pointed out that the lasagne was similar to a cottage pie, but he told me he likes both. He's quite happy with our "arrangement" but pointed out his lack of teeth and the fact that he has never gotten on with his false set, so doesn't wear them. Consequently, he only wants soft food. The mutt was quite happy to help him eat his corned beef sandwich. He told me he (like many others) keep allotments mainly for a hobby and happily give away lots of produce (they are not allowed to sell it on for cash, apparently), but it seems I am their new favourite, as I offer something in return. I can't believe people would be so greedy as to take what they can and not give something back! He's lifting his onions next week, I think, and will let me have some once they have dried off, together with some carrots. Plenty potatoes starting next month. He did hint that he loves home-made soup, particularly leek and potato. No problem. I'll even knock up some soda bread, or cheese scones to go with it, if he likes.

Well...Who'd have known it?:shocked: Gooseberry bushes have thorns! My arms are scratched to bits, but worth it. I didn't know they were armoured! You learn something new every day.
  • mrssd
    Options
    Hopeless Case: Watch your dogs eating aliums (onion, garlic, leeks etc) as it is poisonous to them. Having said that, we once had a Staffie/Jack Russell cross who ate absolutely ANYTHING and, if it didn't agree with him, returned it from whence it came, or - as was more usual - threw up on the kitchen floor. I can't leave bananas in reach as the mutt loves them. Same with blueberries. He's also good at hoovering up frozen peas that I regularly manage to spill. NOTE TO SELF: seal the bl**dy bag before putting back in the freezer.

I can relate to you not being able to get the freezer top closed. HINT: a 4 pack of beans and a 4 pack of tomatoes on the lid helps!
  • mrssd
    Options
    :question::question::question:
    p.s.
    I meant to ask...
    Anybody know how long a whole salmon safely keeps in the freezer? I looked on line and opinions vary. I have two (yes, I know: greedy) bought at the end of January in a flash sale. Both are gutted and I've wrapped them well. If safe, I'll defrost one and poach and refreeze in smaller portions for sandwiches and stuff. The mutt also likes salmon. The other I'll keep as long as it is safe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback