What did this washing machine man say?

Options
My washing machine finally packed in for good, the repair man who's very nice and knowledgeable told me it couldn't be fixed.

As he was leaving he said oh next time get Bush they are the best. He is Polish and he said it like rhyming with rush. So I clarified Bush? (i said it like boosh) and he said no bush (like rush again) then I said oh Bosch? and he said no bush (rush).

So now I don't know which one to get. Is one of those 2 makes known as the best?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pretty sure he meant Bosch. And I would concur.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Topcat1982 wrote: »
    My washing machine finally packed in for good, the repair man who's very nice and knowledgeable told me it couldn't be fixed.

As he was leaving he said oh next time get Bush they are the best. He is Polish and he said it like rhyming with rush. So I clarified Bush? (i said it like boosh) and he said no bush (like rush again) then I said oh Bosch? and he said no bush (rush).

So now I don't know which one to get. Is one of those 2 makes known as the best?

No he definitely said NOT Bosch, he said BUSH like rush!

Bosch washing machines are far more expensive than Bush but not necessarily any better now e.g. bearing can no longer be replaced.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/bush/brand
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:17AM
    Options
    "Bush" is a brand name that is operated solely through Argos in the UK. The parent company of Argos/Sainsburys owns the Bush brand, and manufactures electronic equipment in China.

That doesn't necessarily indicate poor quality or poor value for money. (I have a Bush Bluetooth speaker that is very good). However, I struggle to see it being a recommendation over Bosch, because of uncertainty over who manufactures Bush goods, where it is done, and possible lack of independence over things like quality assurance, design, etc.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    However, I struggle to see it being a recommendation over Bosch, because of uncertainty over who manufactures Bush goods, where it is done, and possible lack of independence over things like quality assurance, design, etc.

I can understand the advice - the cost of getting repair work done, if it is even possible (e.g. non-replaceable bearings) makes it difficult to say whether the additional cost of a 'premium' product is worth it if the longer life might be marginal.

Spend less on a cheap machine which you take as a bonus if it lasts more than a few months after the guarantee expires. Spend more on a 'premium' brand and then spend more than the cost of a new machine if it fails a few months after the guarantee expires.

Likewise, it makes more sense to buy a sub-£10 supermarket kettle than buy one of the premium brands - unless style is more important to you than money.

As much as I hate the idea of things being dumped rather than repaired, unfortunately the consumer has lost that battle, and the sensible thing now is to go with the flow.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense, and I have even just done exactly that - sort of.

When my old (Bosch) Washing Machine went bang, I got a cheap Beko Machine, and the John Lewis extended warranty to go with it. I thought that overall this offered better VFM than going for a premium machine where the Manufacturer still had little confidence in their machine running properly for more than one or two years.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest Bush specifically for that though, mainly because Argos extended warranties are generally more expensive than some others. (Same with Currys).
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bush are just a badged-up Argos brand, and could be built by any of half a dozen plants, probably in Turkey (Vestel) or China. You will probably never get spares for them, nor any kind of warranty service.
    A cheaper Bosch is still a reasonable quality machine, though if you pay more than £300 you'll get a longer lasting one, and a 2 year warranty.
    The sealed tub/drum bearing replacement argument is a ship that has sailed: I suspect the only manufacturer not using sealed tubs now is Miele.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport