new business set-up worries :/

Hi everyone

after some advice please, I've come to a dead end!

I'm currently NHS employed, when my contract is up in September they can only renew it part time, so I'll be working only 2 or 3 days a week. I decided to fill my spare days with creating my own aesthetics clinic (initially from a purpose built room at home) offering facials/semi perm make up etc etc. The training has cost a few thousand, and I've managed to build up my portfolio but now I'm struggling to see what else I can do (in a cost effective manner) to get new business through the door!

I have a page on FB, and I've tried adverts on Gumtree but I'm not sure what else I can do - just wondered if anyone else has a business and would be able to give some advice on how to keep attracting customers?

thanks!

Comments

• tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you got your own website?
    They are actually quite easy to set up yourself and fairly cheap to do. A couple of advantages - they will make you look more professional and people will be able to take a better look at what you offer. And, if you get it right, when people Google aesthetics clinic (for example) your business will be the first to appear.
    You can look for a local company to set one up for you but you might be looking at spending at least £500.
  • muvvahen
    muvvahen Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2018 at 10:03PM
    In my part of the country, many organisations such as schools organise 'pamper evenings' to raise money. In return for a small stallholder fee and probably a raffle prize, you could offer small taster treatments on the night. You could provide a voucher towards a full treatment as a raffle prize and discounts for people who have the mini treatment?

Perhaps also think about attending a small-scale wedding fair or two locally to showcase your work, and offering a special package for brides, bridesmaids and mums...?

Could you offer to do mini treatment taster sessions at local businesses, during lunch hours or after work? Maybe you could do a special NHS rate for your current work colleagues?

What about a loyalty scheme (buy five treatments and get the next one half price, for example)? Or a half-price treatment if a client refers a friend?

Could you resell any top-notch products that you use (think about the expensive bottle of shampoo, conditioner, etc that the hairdresser tries to sell you when you have a cut or colour)? Especially if they are exclusive brands that you can't easily get on the high street.

It's all about building up a loyal clientele who keep coming back to you... It will take time, but then you can focus on getting those word of mouth recommendations...

Best of luck xxxx
    Too chicken to stay in the rat-race...
  • Expat2016
    Expat2016 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Try paid Facebook traffic and target locally. I did it for a dental tourism business and clicks cost me about 15p... it can differ depending on the competition but a local business like your’s shouldn’t cost much.

Tonycottee’s advice is good too.. a website is a must and won’t cost the earth. A simple few page website with some content can be done cheap... I suggest having regular blog posts too, and share them to your social media accounts.

Lastly, in this digital world, it’s easy to forget about good old fashioned leaflets and local newspaper ads... they still work!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure