iPods Icompass/Mediacell panel

Has anyone else installed the mediacell+ app on their mobile phone? It is an app used by ipsos to monitor what is watched on TV and what internet sites are visited?

The incentives are decent, £10 gift voucher each month for Amazon or MandS.

Downside is seems to be using a lot of my battery power having it running all the time and noticed it turns off on its own each time I make or receive a call. Anyone else has issues with it? Not sure about it now. Wonder if anyone else has successfully used it and recommends? Perhaps it's just my phone that doesn't get on with the app.

Comments

• winston75
    winston75 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I would like to hear from other people using the app too. I have just installed and am wondering if they will actually pay out? Can't find any info online about the app. Am worried about battery usage too.

Are we allowed to/able to switch our phones off? It isn't clear from the website.

Other similar schemes have people complaining about not being payed out when the end of the month comes. So would love to hear if people have been using this. Or is it just really new?
  • tonycarew
    tonycarew Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2017 at 5:57PM
    I installed the app on my iPhone 5s and can confirm that I did receive the £10 amazon voucher for installing it.
    I have since however uninstalled the app as I too found that it switched itself off after both in coming and out going calls,it also caused the text alert sounds to stop.
    I too found that my battery was draining very quickly with the app running and I had to recharge every day.
    I was called by the apps help desk who were unable to assist regarding the battery drain and the app switching off between calls.I got the impression that these problems are common.They also confirmed that they expect the phone to be left running 24/7.
    I would have preferred to have been able to have kept the app as I said they do pay as promised and it would have been a nice little earner.
  • Joined through reputable third party for a smartphone behavioural tracking app.
    Ipsos running this study is a big known company.
    However, when joining they attached a survey about devices I own, which I completed.

THEN they started to tell me that I had to install their app in my other devices, laptop tablet [and for the same reward].
    I protested because this was NOT stated at beginning, the devices survey they attached was a sneaky way to recruits respondents and stuck their app in all of their devices.

They started telling me that I would not receive further rewards ... a bit of blackmailing as well... unless I complied with their request. I uninstalled their app as I don't like being taken for a ride.
    What a bunch of crooks.

Just tell them the devices you want their app installed.
    Their mediacell app records / intercepts signals on what you are watching, TV radio etc. You carry your phone everywhere, inside and outside your home.
  • I downloaded the app and used it for a month, rather than getting a 20 pound voucher, I received an email saying I hadn't installed the app. When I emailed them my registration details they closed my account. I wouldn't bother with them. Also, every time I plugged in my headphones, the app asked to be restarted.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I registered for the IPSOS postal survey and was advised would receive my login details sometime in November and would start receiving items in December. So far no sign of login details. I sent them an email only to find they chose so far not to reply. Very disappointed.
  • I signed up in November after seeing this from my mobile carrier. Honestly, i've only ever upto February recieved the £20 after haggling 3 calls for it honestly not worth it as they lie alot on the phone (luckily I record all calls when dealing with businesses as most tend to lie) saying they'll send it in the next 2 days.

I'm plaiing on getting my next reward then cancelling them as there a waste of space on my phone and also want me to VPN all my usage and traffic to them which isn't safe for online banking.:mad:
  • I signed up to this yesterday because the rewards sounded great. But I find that the red banner thingy at the top gets in the way - I can't tap the top of a browser to autoscroll to the top of a page, or hit a button that's partially covered by the banner. And also, it seems to have disabled my alert sounds and my alert vibrations. It's weird. I want to uninstall it but I'd kinda like to get the initial reward first...
    {Removed by Forum Team}
  • junkmail42
    junkmail42 Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2018 at 11:13AM
    I was going to install this, but think I've changed my mind after reading what it does. Sounds like it basically listens to everything in your life (apart from when you use the phone / text) that the app is on. Not sure I'm comfortable with that, for my own privacy, and that of my family / friends!

PS. Also records websites visited etc., which they're a bit more up front about.
  • I've been using this app for a couple of years. I like getting the monthly rewards but the app prevents me using my phone to listen to music or attend Zoom meetings. I'm currently being nagged because no information is being transmitted by my laptop.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback