PPI Storecard Offer

Hi - im looking for advice from more experienced forum members please.
I had Burtons & Debenhams store cards as a student in 1995 with PPI. Both cards were cancelled by 1998.
I have zero records or any real recollection of the charges incurred or sums spent at the time.
In 2013, i wrote to Santander and claim was declined.
In 2018 i tried again and received the following offer:

Santander has provided the following breakdown for one of the cards, the other is very similar:
refund PPI payments £155
Associated interest £275
Over limit fees £0
8% interest £485
Successful claims against PPI policy £0
Income tax deducted £97
Net offer £819

My complaint against the Insurer - approx £820 per store card.
My complaint against SCUKL - time barred after 15 years and rejected.

I called santander to have the offer explained better to me, i came away feeling the recipient of a hard sell although i gleaned the following info:

- apparently the SCUKL rejection is note worthy as there is some dispute with Financial Ombudsman.
- the offer may seem confusing to me and the ombudsman suggests a diffetent offer, but i should accept this one.

Im not looking to be greedy but i am looking to be treated fairly by the bank and would like reassurance that i am.

Does anyone have any advice if this is a fair offer.
Should i take the money and run.
Should i make a counter offer to santander and if so what.
or should i refer to the ombudsman

Your thoughts and advice is appreciated.
Kind regards.

Comments

• I had both Dorothy Perkins & Debenhams card sent a PPI claim in for both together (wrong move)!!
    The Dorothy Perkins was settled Debenhams rejected - I have been battling with Santander for 20 months to reconsider Debenhams and keep getting holding letters for the past year!!! It is worth trying but I am frustrated with them about the Debenhams, as they were both taken out the same way and I didn't agree to PPI on either - I have found Ombudsman came on side of Santander which I cannot understand. I have had for a number of years separate cover so no need for PPI - they have been told this!!
    It would be helpful for myself if someone could suggest what we do next!
    PPI was illegally applied but the banks don't think so
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It would be helpful for myself if someone could suggest what we do next!
    If the Ombudsman has ruled in their favour, there's nothing else for you to do next, apart from move on.
  • Hi, how did you manage to find details to send claims into santander.. I had a Dorothy Perkins store card & a Freemans catalogue and would like to make a claim. can you please point me in the right direction.. thanks

Drsnap99 wrote: »
    Hi - im looking for advice from more experienced forum members please.
    I had Burtons & Debenhams store cards as a student in 1995 with PPI. Both cards were cancelled by 1998.
    I have zero records or any real recollection of the charges incurred or sums spent at the time.
    In 2013, i wrote to Santander and claim was declined.
    In 2018 i tried again and received the following offer:

Santander has provided the following breakdown for one of the cards, the other is very similar:
    refund PPI payments £155
    Associated interest £275
    Over limit fees £0
    8% interest £485
    Successful claims against PPI policy £0
    Income tax deducted £97
    Net offer £819

My complaint against the Insurer - approx £820 per store card.
    My complaint against SCUKL - time barred after 15 years and rejected.

I called santander to have the offer explained better to me, i came away feeling the recipient of a hard sell although i gleaned the following info:

- apparently the SCUKL rejection is note worthy as there is some dispute with Financial Ombudsman.
    - the offer may seem confusing to me and the ombudsman suggests a diffetent offer, but i should accept this one.

Im not looking to be greedy but i am looking to be treated fairly by the bank and would like reassurance that i am.

Does anyone have any advice if this is a fair offer.
    Should i take the money and run.
    Should i make a counter offer to santander and if so what.
    or should i refer to the ombudsman

Your thoughts and advice is appreciated.
    Kind regards.
  • Don't make a claim. Make a complaint..

Write them a letter.
  • I had a 2 Debenhams card from 1992 to 2012 (Santander have given me these dates) . They agreed I was missold ppi and have offered £37 for the 2 cards claiming before 2005 they don’t hold the statements. I certainly don’t have them anymore, it’s only been a month since I was aware I had ppi on store card. They are also saying it is time barred. No-one has ever contacted me to say I was missold and I have only just found out so how can it be time barred? Any advice would be gratefully received
  • No one would ever contact you to say they were mis sold. You needed to have submitted a complaint first.

They're saying you're time barred because you've had 26 years to see it on your statements and that they would have written to you to remind you that you had it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Arnie11 wrote: »
    I had a 2 Debenhams card from 1992 to 2012 (Santander have given me these dates) . They agreed I was missold ppi and have offered £37 for the 2 cards claiming before 2005 they don’t hold the statements. I certainly don’t have them anymore, it’s only been a month since I was aware I had ppi on store card. They are also saying it is time barred. No-one has ever contacted me to say I was missold and I have only just found out so how can it be time barred? Any advice would be gratefully received

1) If they have no records they can't pay you anything because they don't know what, if anything, you paid
    2) A time bar is applied 6 years after you took the account, and 3 years after you had reason to make a complaint (such as closing the account, writing to you etc).

PPI is listed as a separate charge on every statement so you would have known about it if you read your statements.

If you don't agree with their response you have 6 months to refer to the FOS but it is extremely unlikely, if not impossible, that you would get any more money from this
  • Arnie11 wrote: »
    I had a 2 Debenhams card from 1992 to 2012 ....it’s only been a month since I was aware I had ppi on store card.
    So you are effectively saying you didn't read anything you signed nor any of the 480 monthly statements you received over the 20 year period you held the card? In addition, you never received or read the reminder letters they sent you advising you that you could complain about PPI?

Just enjoy your £37.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport