Overseas trading

Options
Can some share savvy person please enlighten me on the following point:

If I buy some US shares via a broker, and the broker holds the shares in escrow, will I see any share certificate or registration in my name, or will the shares be held in the name of the broker? In other words, is the transaction between me and the company or me and the broker?

clarification appreciated
Boojum

Comments

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry - but why does it matter?
  • Boojum
    Boojum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Because I have the unpleasant feeling that I might have been ripped off by a broker in a 'boiler house' scam, and I want to know if I can get my money back direct from the company's registrars.
  • Chrismaths
    Chrismaths Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    Unlikely. Once you've paid your money you are more or less screwed. I've heard of people managing to stop payments going abroad when they have realised the next day, but that's as far as it goes I'm afraid. Motley fool has a good forum that relates to boiler house scams - search for the name of the 'company' you invested in and the name of the broker, or post if you can't find it.
    I'm an Investment Manager. Any comments I make on this board should be not be construed as advice, and are for general information purposes only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure