A diary about debt, dilemmas and a dog

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,111
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If son is about to turn 18, would it be an option for him to move back home and keep the dog with him until you return?
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sadly not, he’s waiting for a start date for the RAF and is loved up with his girlfriend in Essex, I don’t think I’d be able to persuade him to move back to Cardiff even if he wasn’t joining the RAF
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • AnnieG
    Forumite
    Right... decision made, I'm going to go home. Having spent the weekend crying and feeling very sorry for myself, I realised that it was a ridiculous position to put myself in. I'll find a job, I'll pay off my debts - it might not be as quickly as it could have been but I'll get there.

I feel very relieved, a bit disappointed in myself and quite nervous about the future but I know that I'll soon be home, in my little house with my dog and with my family and friends nearby, and that's all I want for the time being.

In other news, still nothing from the landlord, which is super irritating. Perhaps Ill ask one of the girls in the office to phone him in Vietnamese.
  • AnnieG
    Forumite
    So... 6 weeks later, I’ve resigned from my job and am now really regretting it for a number of reasons... I really enjoy the job itself, I work with great people, it’s interesting, I’m seeing the world and the salary and benefits are fantastic. The last few weeks I’ve turned a corner here in Vietnam and have settled in much better, made some friends and found some stuff I enjoy doing. I do miss Home (not my capital letter, phone keeps changing it?!) but I could live with being based here and popping backwards and forward for a few years. Also... I am ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of the prospect of being unemployed. At the moment when I look at the future I see depression and bankruptcy. I was just reading an old diary from about 9 years ago, when I was in a similar situation... no job, debts to pay and I’m ashamed at how little has changed in that time. I’m still in debt, I’ve bought a house but am paying my dad back for the deposit he lent me and I think I’ll probably end up having to sell it and move in with my Mum, at the grand old age of 45. I can’t believe what a monumental mess I’ve made of everything.
    I might try and have a conversation with my boss tomorrow and see if he will let me rescind my resignation. I don’t think he will because he already gave me a week to reconsider when I resigned and then dithered about it. I’ll have to rehome the dog, but he will be happy as long as he’s got someone to love him and play with him.
    Sigh.. what an idiot, what a mess, and what an absolute state I’m in :(:(:(
  • AnnieG
    Forumite
    Oh... and I!!!8217;ve paid off the Next directory and one of the overdrafts so debts are currently:
    Barclaycard £7500
    M&S credit card £1200
    Overdraft £2700
    And the loan from my dad got the deposit on my house which I don!!!8217;t really count as a debt but suppose I should £6200

Grand total... £17,600. And I!!!8217;ve just resigned from a £90k job with nothing to go to. What an idiot.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good luck with your boss! You never know...
  • mitch2509
    mitch2509 Posts: 50
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fingers crossed he lets you stay, it's a life some of us can only imagine but it's you who has to live it!

Good luck
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,111
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fingers crossed for you talking to your boss.
  • 50S00N
    50S00N Posts: 38 Forumite
    First thing you have to do is look after yourself or you can't help anyone else. Having a debt can be stressful but we will all be able to give you tips and support. Just sharing your problems can help. Even if you don't get your job back there will be something better for you and you will be stronger for it. A new job back home may not pay as much but look st the happiness friends and family will give you and you can't put a price on that. If you can be kind to yourself. Don't feel guilty. I am on a mindfulness course with work and the being kind to yourself meditation really works. There are free apps you can do. Get in touch with the credit card companies and see if they can suspend or reduce payments or a zero percent one will help too. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs so please don't be offended but there are little things people on here do and share which help chip away at it. I look forward to reading your journey
  • AnnieG
    Forumite
    Thank you all... I didn!!!8217;t quite build up the courage to tell my boss I want to stay today, but I did drop a massive hint so will try and broach the subject tomorrow, he was talking to an agency today about starting a search. I!!!8217;m leaving for 3 weeks leave tomorrow night so I need to have the conversation before I go if I!!!8217;m going to raise it. I!!!8217;ve been contacted by a search firm about a very interesting job which would be amazing but I don!!!8217;t feel confident that it!!!8217;ll come to anything.

My son very kindly reminded me this evening that I'd promised to lend him £1000 for his car insurance if he passes his test on Monday which will take all my spare cash. He will pay me back but it!!!8217;ll be in installments when he starts work in September, I!!!8217;ll make him do me a repayment plan!

Very excited about my trip back to the UK tomorrow, must finish packing and resolve not to spend too much when I!!!8217;m there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure