Are santander a crappy bank?

Comments

• Nah Santander are OK. RBS and HSBC came bottom of this league table yesterday. First Direct win again...surprise, surprise!
  • Was with Abbey, A & L and B & B before the Santander take-over and in the early days they did get a fair amount of criticism. I have never had any problems with Santander and presently have 4 different accounts with them!
  • I don't deal with the branch much. One time I did in order to do a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim, something other banks do in branch, and had to spend 10 minutes on the phone. On the other hand, had some fraud on my account and called them up and they refunded the money and ordered new cards.

Their online banking and app aren't the best out there but it does what I need it to do. I am switching though as with the fee hike on the account and credit card mean that I don't make as much from it as I could from other accounts.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Brilliant bank for us the last few years for their 123 accounts. Great customer service in bank personally.

But we've moved to Natwest because the cashback isn't as profitable any more now they've put their fees up.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

How safe are they really it seems to change hands a lot to?

Change hands a lot? How? When?
  • Santander were hopeless when they took over Alliance and Leicester several years ago. I was treasurer of a sports club and we had an account with A&L and Santander seemed incapable of getting anything right.

Since then things have greatly improved. For the last three years I have had a Santander 123 account and credit card and experienced no problems whatsoever.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Been with them since A&L days - 1994- and had my mortgage with Abbey. No real problems, experiences with other banks have been worse. They come 3rd in Martin's poll and HSBC as lauded above came 11th - take from that what you want. My son is currently being strung along using the 8 weeks complaint allowance since before Christmas with Halifax/BOS over his help to buy ISA !!!! up which the two halves of the same bank can't sort out between them.

There is no reason to be rude when someone doesn't agree with you. I am not 'lauding' any bank, just telling my experience as you are yours.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Looking at changing to the 123 3% account but i am hearing a lot of problems with customer service etc.

What are peoples opinions and experiences with them?

How safe are they really it seems to change hands a lot to?
    You may have read about problems with customer service because, some years ago, it was popular on here to slag them off. No idea whether rightly or wrongly, but I always found them one of the best from that point of view.

Either way, they seem to have recently upped their game and are now rated one of the highest for customer service.

They did take over one or two other banks/building societies some years back, which is what you may be thinking of, but haven't changed hands themselves.

In any event, if they have the account that suits your purpose, that's what matters, you'll probably never even need customer service.
  • have two 123 accounts (1 joint ) getting over £50 a month interest and cash back what's not to like ? also £5 reward from Halifax and £7 a month with TSB just use standing orders from one account to the other to meet pay in criteria then spread direct debits accordingly
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I know they used to be bad- they placed a financial association (incorrectly) between me and OH because we live at the same address and then attempted to raid my account to recover money for OH's deliquent overdraft so for this reason wouldn't touch them again but it's like everything- some people will have good experiences, others not so good.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure