Coat taken in toby carvery

I'm not blaming toby carvery on this thread BTW. Went for a meal earlier which was nice. I left my seat to get a Pepsi refill and my OH was at the carvery deck, I ordered a veggie option so was waiting for mine to come over. I was gone for less than 3 minutes. When I got back someone had taken my stone island coat. I am aware toby aren't responsible for loss and I'm not blaming them. My coat had only been worn twice and even in a sale wasn't cheap. Hope the thief enjoys it and karma gives them a dose.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    That's a real bummer!

It happened to me too, ages ago in a Wetherspoons.
    I posted this in response to someone in the same postiton as you:
    I really empathise with you.

Someone half-inched my waterproof, windproof jacket in a pub.

It was my fault as I'd put it on the back of the chair and then we moved tables and I forgot to take it but it was only a few minutes after that I remembered it but it was gone. :mad:

I didn't report it but I did curse them, their children and their children's children, called down the 10 plagues of Egypt on them and threw in the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse for good measure.

Not sure it worked (we weren't knee-deep in locusts or frogs) but it sure made me feel better. ;)

Sadly, I think you're going to have to chalk it down to experience.
    I hope karma gives them a dose too. :)

ETA:
    it might be worth mentioning it to Toby in case it's someone who's stealing decent coats on a regular basis.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Can't they check the CCTV to find the culprit?
  • How would they know who they were?
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some Stone Island coats can go for £600+! so they are very desirable. If I dine alone for work and need to reserve the table I take a book or magazine with me rather than leave a coat.
    The man without a signature.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Suggest you go to your nearest football ground next home game (do you leave near Millwall?). You'll probably find the little scrote wearing it.
  • adonis wrote: »
    Can't they check the CCTV to find the culprit?
    How would they know who they were?
    They might be regulars there or now that they have done it once and not been caught, they may go back and try it again.

Another possibility is that if the CCTV shows them taking the coat, it might also show what table they were sitting at beforehand and if that table was reserved, they might well have a name and phone number for the culprit, evidence that can be given to the police.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you paid a huge sum for your coat it might be worthwhile you claiming on your household contents insurance - most items taken out of the house are often covered although you would probably have a fair excess. You have to show that you reported the loss though so I should put it in writing to Toby that it was stolen from their premises, and obtain a crime number from the Police if you can.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This has always been a fear of mine. so when I go to Toby with the OH I make sure that one or other is at the table at all times so we can safely leave coats, car keys etc around.

Sorry it happened to you. I suggest you report it to Toby - at least it might help prevent it happening to someone else
  • The coat cost £150 in the summer sale. It was last year's autumn/winter range. The coat was a ladies one so I doubt it will be worn to a footie match. I also have a spring/ summer coat which was a sale item in autumn last year. I might just save it for best now.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My husband stupidly left one of the cars with doors unlocked (on the drive) and when I went out to get something found that the centre console's contents were spread about (took a few coins less than pound denomination).

However,they also took a bottle of perfume that I left in the foot well, having bought the wrong one and not liking it.

It was Christmastime and the sort who would break in on a drive in a well lit street probably stole for his girlfriend's present. I like to think of her throwing it back (and all over him)as she didn't like the scent and also knew it was only cheap. The other with that Lidl label,but a different smell-alike, was lovely)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure