removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Comments

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    FWIW I'm completely clueless compared to the rest of the people giving you advice on this thread, but I'd agree with Mister G and Colin_Maybe about giving BT a call to see if they can fit a new master socket for you (free of charge), and ask the engineer to make sure he disconnects any extra wires, so you can then safely remove the rest.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sure that if you feed him sufficient cups of tea and chocolate Hobnobs, he'll be putty in your hands :)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are so at last we see what we know as a BT master socket that has been hiding in your back bedroom. :rotfl:

Although you have 2 master sockets which is not unknown

What are you trying to achieve ?

Broadband ?
    Do you use the phone? Just want one phone ?

Where Do you want the router?
    in your back bedroom ?
    by the handing off socket
    or the flush socket ?

don't forget it needs a mains socket close by
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 2:40PM
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Are so at last we see what we know as a BT master socket that has been hiding in your back bedroom. :rotfl:

Although you have 2 master sockets which is not unknown

What are you trying to achieve ?

Broadband ?
    Do you use the phone? Just want one phone ?

Where Do you want the router?
    in your back bedroom ?
    by the handing off socket
    or the flush socket ?

don't forget it needs a mains socket close by

I just want one socket in the living room for phone and broadband. So either where the hanging socket is or the one next to it. Everything else gone.

And to be honest, we don't use the landline - and wouldn't miss it - it's only there for the internet.
  • AndyPK
    edited 10 September 2017 at 2:53PM
    Some options I would consider are :

1. Take the large BT socket out of your back bedroom and put it where the hanging off socket is

a) have a micro filter hanging out the front for BB
    or
    b) put a filter plate on the front like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g:P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

2. Purchase or maybe use existing junction box where the hanging off box is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-80A-TELEPHONE-JUNCTION-BOX-BT80A-/221693806495?hash=item339dfb079f:g:5zoAAOSwbdpWZx7C

and then use the socket with the metal back box (where you currently appear to have your router) to put a BT master socket.

i.e nicked from the back bedroom

all wiring down stream can be disconnected. (although a shame to disconnect the flush mounted kitchen socket)

Of course there are variations on this, which you can come up with.

Will all this, make sure you get things working for a couple of days before you go ripping wiring and old back boxes out

And note the wire colour connections at both ends
  • Can I call BT and ask? I don't want to get stung with the call out charge. And I don't want to flag up to them that there's an issue with the master socket and then not let them fix it and do it myself... do I?

Not even BT charge for asking a question, if they try to charge more than you're willing to pay (even just to look at it) you can still say no. They're not going to come and kick your door down to check it's not been touched.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 4:00PM
    Can I just remove the second junction box from above the front door then? I assume I just need to remove the wires connecting it from the first box and then I can take out the second box and all the wiring leading up to the box in the back bedroom.

And then could I do the same with the junction box next to the under stairs cupboard? I don't know where the wire going out of the top of it goes so I could I leave that in the junction box but remove the lower wire at least?

And then figure out where the top wire goes when I take up the stairs carpets and can track it?

I assume it's not a good idea to leave bare wires around, and leaving them hidden in the junction box, even if not connected to anything, is a better idea?
    That is what I would do. Once that second box is disconnected everything else would be dead. You could plug a phone to each socket and listen.

Followed by this
    Some options I would consider are :

1. Take the large BT socket out of your back bedroom and put it where the hanging off socket is
    Technically a bit naughty but very difficult to get wrong. Photo of inside the living room master would confirm. As said earlier, if you can fit a 3 pin plug .............

The socket removed from the bedroom will have A & B terminals. Convention is that brown goes to B and white to A. In your junction box brown goes to blue-white and white goes to white-blue, again convention. So in the living room you connect blue-white to B and white-blue to A. Job done ;)
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 5:13PM
    molerat wrote: »
    That is what I would do. Once that second box is disconnected everything else would be dead. You could plug a phone to each socket and listen.

Followed by this

Technically a bit naughty but very difficult to get wrong. Photo of inside the living room master would confirm. As said earlier, if you can fit a 3 pin plug .............

The socket removed from the bedroom will have A & B terminals. Convention is that brown goes to B and white to A. In your junction box brown goes to blue-white and white goes to white-blue, again convention. So in the living room you connect blue-white to B and white-blue to A. Job done ;)

Is there any reason to use the socket from the back bedroom, rather than buy a new one? Other than saving myself a tenner. The one from the bedroom has been there who knows how long, is quite browned with age and it might be smarter to do this properly if I'm going to do it myself.

And would a more modern socket be easier to fit? Or have different terminals?

I'm going to try again to get inside that master socket. I can't make it much worse than it already is. The screw just spins though so....
  • Not even BT charge for asking a question, if they try to charge more than you're willing to pay (even just to look at it) you can still say no. They're not going to come and kick your door down to check it's not been touched.

That's what I wanted to check! If I do ask and then don't go with them, will I start getting knocks at the door to check my connections and then some sort of fine or something if I've done it myself!

I was under the impression that every up until the master socket was owned by them, so me touching it would be breaking some sort of contract...

But could I have an independent telephone engineer look at it, officially speaking..?
  • AndyPK
    Wilh the amount of stuff you have I can imagine a bt engineer would be there longer than an hour sorting it to your standards.

You can buy a new socket if you wish. However if you fit it to a metal back box and purchase that £7 front there will not be much left on display.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure