PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I had Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast again.

Lunch was a toasted cheese and ham sandwich. I got some good y/s ham this morning so I thought it would be nice to have a ham and cheese toasty for a change :). I'll probably use the rest of the ham with egg, chips and beans tomorrow. It's not something I have that often and I don't want to freeze the ham.

Dinner is going to be a lamb rump steak and some steamed veg with new potatoes.

I don't have anything in the fridge other than the ham that needs using up in the near future. This is a very rare occurrence!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Been scanning the papers online and...Isis are thinking along lines of poisoning our food in our supermarkets before we get our little mitts on it.

Discriminatory terrorism rearing its head then.....as some of us buy darn all supermarket food (whew! whew!) and thinking, with relief, "there are only 1 or 2 items I might still need to buy in supermarkets anyway - by the time most of mine doesnt come from there and I could refuse to buy the rest there too pro tem".

Oh boy....and feeling sympathetic to those who can't just boycott supermarkets however long necessary until "life gets back to normal"....if it ever blimmin' does:mad::mad::mad:

Back to the future then?

Us really oldies remember when there was a spate of UK grown blackmailers injecting mercury in oranges, and slipping stuff into jars. That is why jars / bottles now have pop up buttons and tamper proof seals on screw tops. If broken it has been opened so don't buy them

Breakfast was porridge again, getting into the habit now

Not much on the YS mooch, packet of YS crumpets, rest of the stuff I bought was full price but needed, sort of, could have done without Greek yoghurt & broccoli if I had to

Lunch was yet another cheese salad sandwich

And dinner is more deja vu with LO quiche & LO beans, but will have to be frozen chips today not pommes de terres sautees

I have pears available now, scrumped from neighbours who never pick them. I was looking for some type of pear jam but seems not a good "setter", CBA to poach them etc, either jam or raw, unless any other easy minimum faffing ideas?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dinner frozen chips were replaced by HM jumbo chips

I forgot that I bought a 2kg bag of spuds, on weekly offer, from Iceland this morning, and that is far cheaper than theLild frozen chip price. I cook them the same way, in the Actifry

A 2kg bag will probably see me through to [STRIKE]Christmas[/STRIKE] near the time that kids look forward to a beardy bloke in red suit.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Back to the future then?

Us really oldies remember when there was a spate of UK grown blackmailers injecting mercury in oranges, and slipping stuff into jars. That is why jars / bottles now have pop up buttons and tamper proof seals on screw tops. If broken it has been opened so don't buy them
    And anti freeze in wine I remember... although not sure if that was blackmailers or just dodgy dealers.

Today I've had a real CBA day. It's included: toast, some honey nut cornflakes, a tomato sandwich, chips/sausages/beans and ... I went out and bought a pack of choccies :)

I'm "too twitchy and unsettled" to concentrate on food... the weather's not good, there've been some unsettling outside world noises disrupting the usual quiet lifestyle I need... even as I type this a low flying solo aircraft just buzzed over...
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    ... beardy bloke....

£land are stocking their shelves with this year's selection of Halloween and Beardy Bloke Tat....
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 September 2017 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Dinner frozen chips were replaced by HM jumbo chips

I forgot that I bought a 2kg bag of spuds, on weekly offer, from Iceland this morning, and that is far cheaper than theLild frozen chip price. I cook them the same way, in the Actifry

A 2kg bag will probably see me through to [STRIKE]Christmas[/STRIKE] near the time that kids look forward to a beardy bloke in red suit.

Make a big batch of mash and freeze portions then you'll have lovely HM as a go to between now and the festive season rather than looking at a lurking bag of spuds.....;)

Today has definitely been a munchy day and dinner will be on the same vein - I'm going to blame the weather rather than gluttony:). Dinner will either be Scotch pie, beans and oven chips or HM wedges, chicken wings and runner beans, I suspect the pie may win and then I'll get back on track tomorrow:).

I had a lovely treat of a twix finger earlier must be well over a year since I had one, but as my guests brought them it would have been rude not to :rotfl::rotfl:I must hide the remaining six so they aren't staring at me, generally I can ignore chocolate biscuits but I have a real weakness for these:o

ETA - thoughts of a Scotch pie are scuppered, I don't have any! So smoked haddock fishcake, oven chips and peas it is.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I just made two bits of toast, THEN remembered I'm out of margarine... so I put jam on one and marmalade on the other .... and as I walked away to the sofa with those I thought "D4mn... could've had cheese triangles on these!"
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I just made two bits of toast, THEN remembered I'm out of margarine... so I put jam on one and marmalade on the other .... and as I walked away to the sofa with those I thought "D4mn... could've had cheese triangles on these!"
    I've just had toast and honey. I really wanted toast and raspberry jam. I thought there was an open jar in the fridge, but couldn't find it and then remembered I used it up on a crumpet last week :(.

I've had a large bar of chocolate this evening as well :)

I never seem to have a problem using up chocolate, biscuits, cake and crumpets. No problems CFO there :o.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    money, I am so happy for you re your home, another milestone. Re veg box, dd gets one and it makes her eat properly, I don`t get one, I just get the extras that I don`t produce

Oh I remember those poisoning incidents, yoghurts etc. That is why we get so much packaging in supermarkets. Why I like the smaller producers who bi-pass the supermarkets.

I have to eat out of the freezer every day now with a potential move on the cards. Just forward planning

Today will be mackerel, frozen veg of various sorts like parsnips, ratatouille and I will take some assorted berries out to de-frost to have with a bit of yoghurt. I have two meringues left and have decided not to make any more, next time I make ice cream, I will make an egg white omlette. Obviously a sugar load almost every day, not good for me but oooh a memorable taste. Eating out of the freezer allows me to save anyway

Maybe turkey sausages and some beans for the last meal but I will take frozen sausage and normal beans out of the freezer, easy to spot these days thanks to PN
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Where are you thinking of moving to kittie?

I gave breakfast a miss as I wasn't hungry, no doubt due to over-eating yesterday:o.

Lunch will be a ham salad roll and probably a cupasoup as it's cold here today. I've no idea what to have for dinner yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure