Contract change

My company is proposing to change the contracts , these changes include removing location payment , removal of paid breaks,changes to premiums, holiday entitlement, disciplinary procedures & sick pay. They have announced a pay increase to £9.20 per hour if you sign new contract, if you don’t agree to sign new contract you are given 12 weeks notice. With the changes to premiums and location pay I will be approximately £130 per month worse off even with increase in hourly rate, the company have said that there will be some people worse of because of these changes but they will cover the shortfall for 18 months until the next pay review in 2020. I don’t agree to these changes and have no intention of signing new contract but they are not offering redundancy just 12weeks notice , so at the best I’m likely to get 12 weeks PILON payment , I am 62 and have 26 years service with company and have never been unemployed so don’t have a clue to wether I can claim benefits or sign on, something I don’t want to do but may have to for a short time , but I think I will find it hard to get another job at my age and also have had industrial injury with my present employer that left me with on going shoulder problem, 6 operations in 12 years and I am also due to have a hip replacement in july. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Collective refusal should improve the offer.

They can't replace everyone(or can they?).

What are the union saying?
  • Definitely no chance of collective refusal, most people will sign even though they probably dont agree, unite and usdaw have no bargaining powers due to insufficient members, both unions are involved with the consultations but very little give from company so far, its a massive company who obviously have had these proposals well and truly looked at by legal experts before announcing them
  • getmore4less
    you would have to argue not a suitable alternative

Same job with pay protection for 18 months cover a lot of angles.

does the pay protection also cover the pay equivilent for loss of holidays?

how much holiday is being lost?

Sick pay is often discretionary.

With 26 years service and them trying to cut costs is might be a bit premature resigning, redundancies may be their next move.

Check if you are a JSA or universal credit areas and what you would get.
  • stuart291155
    stuart291155 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2018 at 1:33PM
    Holidays are calculated by the amount of hours you work and as paid breaks are being withdrawn your contracted hours go down but it is not protected by payment protection, I really cant see them offering redundancy in the near to distant future, I will be relocating once this process has finished and the area we are moving to is covered by universal credit
  • Actually universal credit comes in the area we relocating to in November 2018
  • getmore4less
    If you are leaving anyway what's the problem.
  • We are only leaving because of these changes, we were planning to relocate when I retired , but the changes are a step to far , just want to know where we stand regarding any short term benefits we can claim such as council tax relief, wether we are able to claim any unemployment benefit and how to pay national insurance contributions . As I said we have never been unemployed and don!!!8217;t intend to be for long
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If they give you your notice it will be on the basis that refusing a contract change means you are considered to have resigned. This makes claiming any benefits a real problem.
    Given that you are 3 years from retirement and you have 18 months of pay protection I would stick it out.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • getmore4less
    We are only leaving because of these changes, we were planning to relocate when I retired , but the changes are a step to far , just want to know where we stand regarding any short term benefits we can claim such as council tax relief, wether we are able to claim any unemployment benefit and how to pay national insurance contributions . As I said we have never been unemployed and don!!!8217;t intend to be for long

That's a benefits question. There is a board for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure