Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Auto enrolement - eligibilty - duties?

I am a trustee of a small charity and we employed someone part time for the first time late last year. The employee, aged mid-50s works 18 hours per week and earns just under £9k per annum.

I'd understood that there was no obligation to auto-enrol them in a workplace pension, but a few weeks ago we had a letter from the Pensions Regulator about our Staging Date of 1st March and all the things we MUST do by certain dates, including having selected a pension scheme, and paying into it. It goes on to say how this applies to ALL EMPLOYERS.

I'm slightly lost. If we only have one employee who (according to info from HMRC is not eligible for auto enrolement), then why is the Pension Regulator saying we need to do this whole shopping list of things, and then made a declaration on the Government Gateway certifying that we've done them all?

Is there a flow chart anywhere or some means of definitely ascertaining what we actually need to do? Any help grateful appreciated!

Just to add, we have no plans to increase the wage we are currently paying, nor to employ anyone else.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport