PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

Comments

• Best for today were 2 Co-op's Irresistible lasagne reduced to £1.25 each instead of £6 each. I normally don't do ready meals and make it myself but hubby has been feeling off-colour and this tempted his appetite. Not sure i could have cooked it from scratch for less. each one easily feeds us two so the second one in the freezer.

Tesco in our village normally does the best YS offers, my record is 3 weeks worth of bread products for £1. Often their artisan baked bread heavily reduced (about 10p per loaf) and people tend not to buy it..unlike me and straight in freezer. 8 wraps for 4p is my record. Friday nights seem a good time to go.
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hello to the Yellow-Sticker Activists!

Finally, I have a small haul with better reductions, from the local Mr S at about 5 pm:

1. Ready meal -spagehetti bolognese from £2.30 to £0.59 - £1.71 saved
    2. Roast chicken breast slices was £2.75 now £0.69 - £2.06 saved
    3. Fresh nectarines x 5 was £1.70 now £0.44 - £1.26 saved
    4. Fresh mixed veg stir-fry was £1.00 now £0.24 - £0.76 saved
    5. 6 bread rolls was 80p now 19p - saved 61p
    6. Multi-seeded wholemeal loaf was £1.35 now £0.34 - £1.01 saved.

Total retail price was £7.75, actually paid - drum-roll £2.15! or about 75% off!!:T

Well chuffed! I will be a yellow-sticker ninja in no time if this keeps up.
    I have frozen the loaf and rolls, as well as the spag bol. And I have scoffed half the stir-fry with half the chicken (nice, fat slices of chicken it was too), very tasty, with enough for a second meal tomorrow.

Best of all, the meal tonight came to the grand price of about 46 pence in total (if you count a splosh of cooking oil.

Definitely converted to trying this again and again.

I did observe YS etiquitte - didn't clear the entire chiller or bakery aisles, just bought what I felt I would use, and left some for the other YS hunters out there....;).
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £132 of shopping in tescos last night, £34 spent!! saving £98!!! do love a yellow sticker!!
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    t14cy_t wrote: »
    £132 of shopping in tescos last night, £34 spent!! saving £98!!! do love a yellow sticker!!

Well done! :T

i will have to try harder.... :):)

What time did you hit Mr T's, may I ask? Just hoping I can have a crack at that action....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• t14cy_t
    good morning all, our local Tesco does the biggest reductions at 5pm and 3pm on sundays. you could go later but chances are it would all be snapped up by then. good luck. xx
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I was in Aldiddly yesterday, they were selling off their Christmas stock. I never usually find anything reduced in there and was saying so to a friend when a member of staff was passing. I spoke extra loudly so he would hear me, I said I always get fantastic reductions from Tesssssco, but nothing from Aldi. He pointed me in the direction of the reduced shelf. Ooooh, nice, boxes of Crackers for Cheese at 29p each. Don't know what the usual price is so I can't compare, it's not something I would normally buy.

I bought five boxes, have given two away and will eat the other three over the next five months, they have a long date on them. I normally buy cream crackers at 40p a packet, don't need to buy any for a while now.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • t14cy_t
    wow!! well done Ilona. xx
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2018 at 2:00AM
    L!dl weekend specials -
    5 x SA Cimarso Merlot £10.65 (half price - only 5 left on the shelf)
    4 x Saramago Alentejano £9.95 ((half price)
    3 x Cabernet Sauvignon £11.97 (reduced)

Total for 12 x (previously enjoyed) wine £32.53 - just over £2.70 per bottle

The intention was to buy 12 x Cimarso at £25.40 but I was too late!

I wanted to buy 12 as the 'specials' on wine aren't on that often but I think 'canny shoppers' will excuse me going £7.13 over budget.

A bottle lasts about a week with the remnants used in the Sunday cooking: not an essential purchase but the budget can cope with a weekly 'entertainment' spend of £2.70 - especially as it was partially counterbalanced by a loaf at £0.50 and butter at £2.54 per lb.
  • Hey all, not got extra bargains yet, but as it's snowing and generally horrible here, thought I might try Mr S local which I can walk to later today.

My theory is, that everyone else will be (sensibly) keeping warm and sheltered, and not daft/stupid/brave enough (delete as appropriate!) to be out looking for YS stuff. And the poor staff that have to work there, won't be able to sell enough so they will have to reduce it, won't they? ; )

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,293 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    A YS from the co-op;

Co-op Farmhouse seeded loaf 470g
    Now 33p Was 65p Saving 32p
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure