PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    First YS purchase of the year;

Triple Sandwich Selection - Now 0.95p Was £1.90 Saving 95p
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Irenadler- once you get on friendly terms with the ones that do the reducing they can be really helpful. For instance mine will tell you if they intend to mark down a reduced item again if you've picked it up.

Last week the fishmonger saw me looking while he was reducing and told me to bring him things I wanted to mark down and I paid no more than 8p per item. I got plaice, cod, bream, cooked mackerel filets etc. Some lovely fishcakes, too.
    Enjoyed a lovely chat with him too as he worked away with his labeller. :D

Hello cheerfulness

Thanks for that - I will need to go on the charm offensive... :)

A very nice haul for pennies!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Irenadler
    First YS purchase of the year;

Triple Sandwich Selection - Now 0.95p Was £1.90 Saving 95p

Hello Ilovecomps

Nice - every thing helps, that's a decent 50% off, haven't got a trip out yet, but, I am thinking of nipping out now to the local supermarket to see if there's any goodies.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Iceland had price king prawn selection down to £2.50, lobster thermidor down to £7 and huge xmas puds with brandy sauce in the middle were £6 now 75p!!!!also purple chips!!?? 25p a bag!! cant say our diet isn't varied!! will try anything once especially if its reduced!!
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    yippee, went out to buy a cheapo loo brush from b and ms, bought 2 packs of ham, pack of meatballs for 10p a pop, and loo brush only cost £1.29, result!!
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    We have a Cash and Carry which sells near to or out of date food. I pop in when passing, on my way to town. Yesterday I got five bashed tins of red kidney beans for 20p each. They normally sell them at three for £1, the shop price is more than that, and these aren't even out of date till the end of the year.

Also two 450 grm bags of Kellogs Musli for 50p each. No idea what the normal price is because I never buy them.

I got some small Sheba pouches from Wilko, on offer at £1.25 pack of six. Top price is £2, but you can normally get them at the discount stores for £1.49.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • logician
    logician Posts: 204 Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    A Mr T late shop tonight.

Mr T - reductions

Sandwich 14p
    Quiche 14p
    Stir Fry Mix 11p
    Courgettes 9p
  • Irenadler
    Argh!

I have tried to thank other posters on this page and it keeps saying I don't have rights? I am doing something wrong? Also, when I post, it keeps flashing a message saying I've sent it twice, when I haven't, I have only pressed the button once....:(

Anyway, still a newbie at this, went to local Mr S at 20 mins before closing and got:

Pack of 8 wholemeal tortillas reduced from £1.05 to 69p = 36p saved (in freezer)
    Minty 4 bean salad (2 servings) use by 15th Jan From £1.65 to £1.10 = 55p saved - eating it now!
    Melon and grape snackpot (2 servings) UB 15th, From 1.95 to £1.30 = 65p saved, will have a bit after the beans.

Total saved: £1.56
    Percentage: about 30% off....

Still not finding the bargains. Asked a member of staff at Mr T's yesterday when they reduce items, and he replied a bit impatiently 'It's already done'. Sigh. I obviously lack the ninja-qualities of Ilona.....

Hope this post, er, posts!

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Argh!

I have tried to thank other posters on this page and it keeps saying I don't have rights? I am doing something wrong? Also, when I post, it keeps flashing a message saying I've sent it twice, when I haven't, I have only pressed the button once....:(

Anyway, still a newbie at this, went to local Mr S at 20 mins before closing and got:

Pack of 8 wholemeal tortillas reduced from £1.05 to 69p = 36p saved (in freezer)
    Minty 4 bean salad (2 servings) use by 15th Jan From £1.65 to £1.10 = 55p saved - eating it now!
    Melon and grape snackpot (2 servings) UB 15th, From 1.95 to £1.30 = 65p saved, will have a bit after the beans.

Total saved: £1.56
    Percentage: about 30% off....

Still not finding the bargains. Asked a member of staff at Mr T's yesterday when they reduce items, and he replied a bit impatiently 'It's already done'. Sigh. I obviously lack the ninja-qualities of Ilona.....

Hope this post, er, posts!

Some stores don't reduce further if they have signed up to community food groups to give their food to. My Tesco does do the reductions to pennies around 7pm but the one in the next town doesn't
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am really missing my Tuesday evenings at Sainsbury’s! It was a great time to secure loads of bakery stuff, which would go straight in the freezer. It wasn’t unusual to find their packs of large wraps YS to 24p.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure