IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They did have my name and address slightly misspelled so that might m ake me difficult to flag - i cant recall if i gave the hire company my passport number but certainly my driving liscense details will be on the system.
    What about your credit card details? If they’ve got those, and there’s a clause in your hire agreement that if the hire company is pursued in your absence, they have the right to charge your card (and add a tasty admin fee in the process), then you might have already ‘paid’ this!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • UMKOMMASS - my apologies. I suppose this doesn't belong here.
    How about I delete the thread in 24hrs? Just incase aspanish lawyer comes accross it in the interim!!
  • Damn good point there...I hadn't considered that.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    UMKOMMASS - my apologies. I suppose this doesn't belong here.
    How about I delete the thread in 24hrs? Just incase aspanish lawyer comes accross it in the interim!!

It’s up here now, and you’re getting some helpful responses, so leave it (in any case, other than scrubbing each of your own inputs, one by one, you can’t delete the thread).

When people have run out of ideas, the thread will take its own course down the thread list.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    The reference I gave you is only one of many, there are plenty more out there.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The_Deep wrote: »
    if not paid then further visits to Spain may be compromised.

The borders with France and Portugal are unmanned.

Bit of a bind to have to fly to Bordeaux or Lisbon when going to Madrid or Malaga.

Not quite sure how you get around it for going to the Canaries though
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I’ve said this before - the more we deal with court cases, the more people will believe we are a ‘legal eagle’ forum and increasingly post issues that have nothing to do with private parking. We’ve had two such in the past couple of days.

To be fair, the sub-forum is titled "The Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board", and is part of the general Motoring section. The forum description reads "If you've had a fine or worse and want to discuss it here's the place to do it".

It should be no surprise that people come here with more than just private parking issues.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Change your passport before going to Spain again if you have not paid this.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Damn good point there...I hadn't considered that.

As this is a non-parking or traffic violation, would the hire company t&c allow them to charge your card? Check their t&c.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    As this is a non-parking or traffic violation, would the hire company t&c allow them to charge your card? Check their t&c.

Good question, I do get the impression that this is a local Spanish car hire firm rather than one based here or a multinational, so the system and their ability to charge may be different. And I'd have thought they'd have billed the OP already rather than seemingly just giving his name up to the authorities as the hirer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure