"Script Error" pop up, do I need an ad-blocker?

jenniewb
jenniewb Posts: 12,836
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I have two browsers, (Chrome and Internet Explorer) this problem only occurs on Internet Explorer but I am as a result unable to use IE and would like to.

The issue is getting repeated "Script Error" pop ups which look as if they come from either Microsoft of my PC itself (I don't know how to check this!) they're asking for a Yes/No response before I can use the page at all and one pop-up after the other to the point where my only option is to shut down the browser via the Task Master as I can't even get to the cross in the corner without another appearing.

I've tried AdAware (free antivirus), I've tried Malwarebytes, neither have helped. I also have the normal firewall and etc and use the latest version of Windows. I've no idea what to try next.

I'm up to date with all updates. Some sites were worse than others -Hotmail being the worst culprit, but now it seems to affect more and more sites, this one included.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did you do to make it stop?!

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Could be a thousand things.

I would reset IE
    (internet options, advanced, reset)

I would also run ADW cleaned , just because ..

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Let us know if that doesnt shift it
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,855
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why not use edge not IE ?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • jenniewb
    Forumite
    Why not use edge not IE ?

Can you get Google Bookmarks on Edge? I can't see how to.
  • jenniewb
    Forumite
    OK so to update on this:

I tried the rest and the issue appeared to go away. I did also do a Malwarebytes scan and quarantined what I was told were harmful things and the issue appeared to go away. Used the browser for a few days to check if anything then re-installed itself without my awareness but it appeared to be fine.

Then I reinstalled the Google toolbar and BAM! There's the issue.

Whilst I didn't get the same script error pop-up, and they didn't appear to be on the Hotmail page (which is primarily where they were before) they are still on the MSE site and on every page I view, even if I select 'yes' to allow things I keep getting asked for permission.

If it helps anyone, the pop up read
    " an error has occurred in the script" (this is new as the previous message heading was simply "script error"

Then reads:
    Line 1
    Char 33
    (these are the same)

Then reads "unable to get property get elements by tag name of defined or null reference"

I have since uninstalled the Google toolbar which is annoying because I've had a Google toolbar for the best part of a decade and until now had found it very useful. If anyone knows of a reliable and usable toolbar I'd be grateful if you could share!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure