PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 4th January 2018

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 January 2018 at 7:45AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 4th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'll wake DS2 shortly, he's back to college today.

Dinner last night was disjointed as I organised dinner for both boys as soon as I came in from work, they had jacket potatoes, breaded chicken portions and veg. DH decided in the afternoon he would come to the hospital last night, so we picked up a takeaway on the way back, which actually was enough for the boys to have some in a bowl also, it was enough for a small meal which was just right as it was getting late.

I'm now on days' off so I'll be heading into town to visit the building society and bank, I'll also then visit the butchers and I'm thinking I'll pick up some beef/lamb and shove it in the slow cooker with some veg and gravy, this will then become tonight's dinner, I'll be making sure I get everything ready before I go to the hospital, so I can serve a decent meal tonight. I'm going to be visiting during the day when I can so I can then be at home in the evening.

Work was all or nothing, 20 minutes before closing we have a queue to the door whilst the 3 hours before that we've not been very busy at all.

Went to the hospital last night and although she was awake and was just finishing her dinner, she wasn't as with it as she had been the night before, although there was some 2 way conversation. They had difficulty with her sleeping in the afternoon then being unresponsive when they tried to wake her, also her sugar count was very high and they were extra vigilant checking it but it came down nicely eventually - so we just have to take it day by day I guess.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Am I first? Yippee!

Have a great day everyone

Mrs SD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Morning folks and thanks NMLC, hope things are still well with your mum. All is calm now after yesterday's battering winds.

Just a quick one from me. The 3 DGDs will be to waken up shortly and get sorted for school. Why is there no urgency with kids! They drive me mad with their any time will do attitude!

There has been no miraculous overnight cure from the antibiotics and I am still coughing like a mad thing. Once the girls have gone to school I shall get my head over my twice daily bowl of steaming menthol, ever hopeful it will shift something.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) for all the poorlies, those with poorlies and the sad and worried. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Morning all.

i find coughs take ages to shift, TA, and it's so exhausting. Once you get into a spasm it's hard to stop.

I'll be visiting the charity shop today as i spent a good bit of yesterday tidying and re-organising cupboards and wardrobes.
    Dgd was supposed to be coming yesterday and staying overnight, but DD changed it to today. We'll gird our loins later, she's lively.

It looks damp and quiet outside, the trees are not waving madly about anyway. Cold weather on the way according to the forecast, though it is January, can't expect too much I suppose.

Thinking of the poorly people and their families.

Take care folks.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off nmlc.

TA Hopefully the antibiotics will work and you will quickly start to feel better.
    Nmlc glad things are a bit more positive with your mum than they were.
    FBO thinking of you and your family
    Specky nice to see you back posting. I’m sorry to hear that you have been ill over the holiday period.
    Csarina Hopefully you feel a bit better today, and your doh will be able to sit up today now he has finished the medication.

I’m having my hair coloured first thing this morning and then I need to call into the bank, I have a cheque to pay in that I was given before Christmas, but the queues were so long when I went to the bank I gave up. I thought it may be a bit quieter now. I certainly hope so.

Other than that I don’t have any plans. I’m still taking things slowly until I have the further hospital tests. At the moment I feel fine and don’t want to push my luck by doing too much.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, and those with troubles/problems.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all, thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

TA I have always found that antibiotics don't do much for the first 2 days, hopefully you might start to see a difference by the weekend, fingers crossed.

Judi, your granddad is such a little love though I bet you don't say that when she's screeching her head off!

Speky get well soon, all these nasty bugs around at present.

Nmlc, hope your mum is a bit better today.

I'm meant to be on a day off today but have to go and have a meeting. Then I need to go to our sister office (3 min walk away) where the techy people roost on their techy perches. My work mobile stopped working. I thought it was me putting in the wrong password but it turns out that the server has ceased to recognise me. I have wondered that since I am now an un-person perhaps I could just stay home but that possibly won't go down too well. So I'll hand the wretched thing in to be reconnected or whatever it needs. Basically it needs hurling off a bridge, it is not very user-friendly and tge screen and text are very small. It probably cost 3 times what my own cheapo smartphone did and is a lot less useful. But I have to be reachable, anyone would think I was some kind of emergency person. I'm not. Rant over.

It is raining but not noisily so I've had a lovely sleep, feeling refreshed unlike yesterday. I worked hard but felt quite awful after a very broken sleep with rattling and crashing from the storm.

I am reducing my hours from mid-Feb and can't wait. It will be just 3 days a week from then. I'm not making work plans past the summer as am hoping to retire. OH won't be pleased but I can't be the magic money tree forever.

Wising everyone a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2018 at 5:58PM
    Morning all

Pouring down here and very windy again, my car got stuck in the mud twice yesterday at work and I thought they were going to have to get the tractor and pull me out, today I am leaving here earlier and getting a space on the very limited hard standing ! The mud at work is at least a foot deep and all the cars are covered in mud ! The sooner the building work is over the better !

Something and chips for dinner tonight I think there is some battered fish in the freezer with peas, a nice easy dinner, mind you OH has been cooking all week as he has been off which has been lovely, I could get used to this (but would prefer it if it was me off :D )

NMLC thinking of you xx

Specky nice to see you back, you were missed xx

Have good days all xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning :wave:

Still pitch black here but seems a lot calmer.

Got a man coming round this morning to price up a new gate ....no doubt he will tut and shake his head and increase the estimate but it has to be done. In a way it has done me a favour as it was on its way out and needed replacing but right now i could do without the expense.

Made a good start on the paperwork yesterday and if I keep focused I should mostly finish today. Managed to save £45 on mums home insurance renewal which was pretty impressive seeing as it was only £122 for renewal. Dad was very "loyal" to companies so just renewed every year. The annoying thing is that the best quote with the meerkats was with the same company for exactly the same cover apart from a £350 excess compared to £250 on the renewal. :mad: How many older people are getting ripped off like this every year :mad:

Had a smoked salmon salad last night and need to finish off anything else left in the fridge so could well be a picky day.

Hope everyone has a good day
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    It's starting to lighten up, here. I'm waiting for a Royal Mail and Tesco grocery delivery, both scheduled before 9am.

I have been busy this morning, cleaned the bedroom as surfaces were starting to gather dust. I haven't had our cleaner in since before Christmas and am starting to notice a difference, where regular jobs haven't been done.

The lock on the security gate, failed yesterday so that is something I need to sort out. Such a nuisance. Apart from that, there is some meal prep that needs sorting - slicing the potatoes for spicy wedges later, which my DD will cook when she finishes work and then, this afternoon, I need to focus on my current work project, hopefully with very little distraction.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Good morning once again ladies,

Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm slowly getting there, not quite 100% yet mind you. FurryBeast - I must admit, I went to the gym this morning. Not sure if it'll kill me or cure me. I wasn't much use to be fair but I enjoyed getting back into my normal routine.

Some womanly advice, please. What's your thoughts on beards? Typically I'm close shaven, using an electric shaver machine thing, but during the time I was ill, I didn't have the energy to shave, and so I've grown a bit of a beard. This 3 weeks or so has been the longest I've ever went without shaving and not sure wither to keep it or not. Does it have a messy, dirty and unkempt connotation?

Anyway, my fridge is still pretty empty as I've not been fit enough to go the shops. Something from the freezer perhaps for dinner.

I've a work trip to Berlin this weekend. Flight leaves Glasgow airport at 7.30am, so I'll be waking up at the same crazy time some of you all do!

Have we started getting spam posts on this thread...?

TA - You'll no doubt have tried everything for the cough, but I was really enjoying honey, lemon juice and some hot water. I felt it soothed the through and kept me from coughing (for a few minutes).
    HH - Does your bank have the cheque pay-in slips? That way you can skip the queues.
    Aod - Technology is good when it works. Hope it all gets sorted quickly and painlessly.
    Nelski - Good on you for haggling! Martin Lewis would be proud.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Dull and raining but at least the wind has died down, it was scary at times yesterday.

Will head out soon to get some fresh fruit and veg, the fridge is reassuringly empty so my meal planning is obviously working well with nothing getting wasted. I have taken some turkey and ham out of the freezer to make a pie for tonight's tea.

Other than that have nothing exciting to report, Lulu has gone out to her paddock today for the first time in a week, goodness knows how excited she was! Am looking at a possible new home for her tomorrow and have another couple of the sidelines. Have ordered a calmer for her to make the move as easy as possible, I have also started taking Kalms :rotfl:

Take care wishes to nmlc, TA , Csarina and all others who are struggling with illness or poorly loved ones.
    I had a similar problem Nelski when I helped Mum with insurances etc, Dad had always stuck with his bank as a provider and when I looked at the policy they were charging for £1k worth of computer equipment, my parents didn't have anything at all! Like you say, do wonder how many other people are being ripped off in this way.

Have a good day folks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport