Best stakeholder pension?

I want to start a stakeholder pension for my son, who has learning difficulties. I will also have to start one for my other son, who doesn't, because it wouldn't be fair otherwise! They are 23 and 21, my business is doing well at the moment, and I want them to benefit from the sort of financial planning that I made when I was their age. So, I want stakeholder pensions, what sort of charges are good? My eye was drawn to Virgin, as they already have ISAs with Virgin, they want 1% a year, is that good?

Comments

• Who says that Stakeholder Pensions are the best option for your sons ??
    Just because a Stakeholder pension was good for your situation it may not be for your two sons.
    If your business is 'doing well' you would be better getting paid for professional advice for your sons.
    My opinion only of course.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, how much are you thinking of contributing?
  • Costy
    Costy Posts: 27 Forumite
    I don't have a stakeholder pension, and I work like a dog, strangely, the harder I work, the better I do :-) - you have attitude Firefox.

I want a stakeholder pension so that I can pay in variable amounts when I am doing well and when not so well, likewise when I retire they can do the same.

Bigadaj I was thinking of a lump sum of £1k to start off, and £100 a month each for now.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/pensions/stakeholder-and-personal-pensions/aviva/

Be careful when making provision for a child with learning disabilities.

(Effect on means tested funding.)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    1, my business is doing well at the moment, and I want them to benefit from the sort of financial planning that I made when I was their age. So, I want stakeholder pensions, what sort of charges are good

There are not many stakeholder pensions left nowadays. However, Virgin is about the worst one out there.
    So, I want stakeholder pensions, what sort of charges are good?

0.55% for small values.
    and I want them to benefit from the sort of financial planning that I made when I was their age.

Yes, the younger you start, the cheaper the monthly contributions can be for the rest of your life (as long as you inflation link the contributions).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2017 at 12:47PM
    Costy wrote: »
    I don't have a stakeholder pension, and I work like a dog, strangely, the harder I work, the better I do :-) - you have attitude Firefox.

I want a stakeholder pension so that I can pay in variable amounts when I am doing well and when not so well, likewise when I retire they can do the same.

Bigadaj I was thinking of a lump sum of £1k to start off, and £100 a month each for now.

I find your reply to my sensible comments on your original post to be extremely rude & rather offensive.
    Have a good day my friend.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Costy wrote: »
    I want to start a stakeholder pension for my son, who has learning difficulties. I will also have to start one for my other son, who doesn't, because it wouldn't be fair otherwise! They are 23 and 21, my business is doing well at the moment, and I want them to benefit from the sort of financial planning that I made when I was their age. So, I want stakeholder pensions, what sort of charges are good? My eye was drawn to Virgin, as they already have ISAs with Virgin, they want 1% a year, is that good?
    Would a LISA be a better option for both, i.e. flexibility, re a property if appropriate (at some point) or for retirement? Because of the current LISA bonus there isn't a difference wrt pension tax benefit.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    there isn't a difference wrt pension tax benefit
    If one of the children has no income and does not expect to have significant income then the pension may have significant tax advantages.
  • Costy
    Costy Posts: 27 Forumite
    Yes, he is quite capable, he is running a small business that I set up for him, but he is never going to be a high flyer. He does have a help to buy Isa that he pays the maximum into each month, the other one just has a huge studen loan. I just want to help with them their future while I can. So which pension should I think of, if at all?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    greenglide wrote: »
    If one of the children has no income and does not expect to have significant income then the pension may have significant tax advantages.
    Sorry, missed this post.

Can you explain, as my understanding is that the addition of the LISA bonus is (in essence) the equivalent of the tax benefits (gross) on pension contributions, thereby making the overall financial benefits equal (that's my understanding).

Whether there are additional 'benefits' considerations for the one child for a pension or a LISA I am unsure without investigating further.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family