Has Halifax broken its student promise?

Comments

• someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've been told that the underwriters will only let students have £1750 in the first year (asked for an extention between my 1st and 2nd year, they were still classing me as a first year student)
  • I'm a fourth year student (six year course) and opened up a Halifax bank account in October last year. Since then I've been making regular £200.00 payments per week into the account (and pay around £800.00 pounds per month back out of it into my hsbc current account).

As I finished my last exam yesterday and had some time on my hands I called Halifax today (see saynoto0870.com for landline). I explained the end of the year was approaching and my final loan instalment had been rec'd and I wanted to increase my overdraft to £3000.00 to tie me over for the summer. I was told it was not at all possible to increase my overdraft for reasons unknown to the operator. She spoke to her manager who called the underwriters who said the criteria were:
    (1) no adverse credit rating (I have none)
    (2) regular payment into account (see above)
    (3) length of time the account has been open (I.e as opposed to year of study)

She told me in no uncertain terms that If I called again in another six months once the account had been open for a year I would be entitled to increase my overdraft again (she would not disclose the amount).

Three issues
    The first is that on the first time of asking I wasn't entitled to increase my overdraft at all - this was done at the discretion of the "manager" from £1000 to £1750.

The second is that while others have suggested Halifax place limits based on year of study this has not been the case for me. Rather, the length of time I have had the account for. This is not consistent with the customer in the article who had held a Halifax account for 12 years.

Finally, the girl on the phone seemed nice but was genuinely clueless and it seemed, powerless too. Every major company I ring the initial operator has a redundant function.
  • I am a 3rd and final year student and I have had my halifax account since just before i started university. I had some money problems eariler this year and my overdraft limit at the time was £1500, they would not let me extend it to over £2000, which was really helpful of them. They wouldn't give me a reason, they just said no. Several of my friends have also tried to go beyond £2000 and been given a flat refusal.
  • Dwayne_Quest
    Dwayne_Quest Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2009 at 3:40PM
    I am 4 weeks away from the end of my second year. My overdraft limit is at £1500 and my balance is just over £800. All of the money that is loaned/granted to me goes directly into this account. I have not once gone over the agreed overdraft limit. I just phoned Halifax to request it to go to the maximum of £3000 but they said no, because I do not have enough money in my account. I find that quite strange and do believe that Halifax do not really give out the £3000 overdrafts. I do not know anyone who has managed to get the maximum amount. Also, the man on the phone said that the maximum overdraft he can give me is £1000 and that he is unsure of why I am on £1500. Seems like bit of a joke to me!
  • All of the money that is loaned/granted to me goes directly into this account. I have not once gone over the agreed overdraft limit. I just phoned Halifax to request it to go to the maximum of £3000 but they said no, because I do not have enough money in my account.

I'm a second year student, and back in April, phoned to see if I could increase my £1000 od limit as I had some impending unexpected bills that were going to take me a little over the limit. They declined to extend it on the phone, and subsequently completely canceled my overdraft. As I was in the middle of preparing for exams and clinical placement, as well as having a personal crisis, I did not check my account until today:eek:, and see that they have been charging me £20 a pop penalty fees as I now have no overdraft.
    So, if you just rung and they declined your od increase, make sure you check that they havent infact cancelled the whole thing!!!!!.
    Needless to say, I will be calling into my local branch tomorrow for a little chat.
    Rich
  • I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year in Medschool and have been with Halifax for two years now. I also have a term time job in which i'm contracted to work 60 hours month, earning about £500 a month. So, I have regular student loan payments plus monthy earnings going into my account. I do have a credit card which is just under 1000 in debt, but I have no outstanding payments, have an ok credit rating and regular payments going in. Despite this, everytime I ask for an increase in my overdraft I'm turned down. I will need the overdraft because I will have to quit my job for the clinical years. I currently have a £1000 overdraft limit.

I've been given three different reasons on three different occasions:
    1. "You need to have the account open with us for more than a year" - ok fair enough, loyalty etc...(although it doesn't say that it terms and conditions)
    2. Try again 6 months later "You need to have more money in your account" - seems slightly counter intuitive...the reason I wanted an increase at this time was because I was struggling - so I thought, fine, I'll wait until I have at least 1000 +.
    3. Try again 6 months later: "The credit crunch has hit us all hard and so our critera for increasing overdrafts has become much stricter" - Halifax actually can't afford to give me an overdraft! To soften the blow they decided to offer me a credit card and insurance!

I have previously been offered credit cards, personal loans and insurance from Halifax. Slightly irresponsible of Halifax?

It is incredibly difficult to get a overdraft larger than £1000 from halifax and I would not advise anyone to join this bank based on their attractive overdraft facilities. They are no different to any other bank in this respect. If you do get it (post credit crunch that is) then you're very lucky!
  • Dwayne_Quest
    Dwayne_Quest Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2009 at 3:43PM
    Fluffy Custard, that is terrible! I have just checked my account and they have not cancelled the overdraft that I had applied for (£3000). I had to apply for it as I received a letter from them telling me that my overdraft was going to expire. I'm not sure what that is about?

Their letter said:

"Thank you for your recent application for an overdraft of £3,000.Unfortunately, having considered your application, it will not be possible to offer you an overdraft at this time.This decision has been based on a review of your finances . If you want to discuss this decision, please contact your local branch "

Plus a bit more.

I get £3500ish of student loan into my account, plus about £6000 of grants and £2000 from my part time job (a year). They refuse to give me a larger overdraft even though I very rarely go into it, put over 10k a year into it and have been with them for almost 2 years. If I can't get it then I don't know who can. Don't trust them!

(I have also had a mobile phone contract for about 4 years, never missing a payment. I have one credit card, which I have also never missed a payment on. I checked my credit report on Experian and it seems fine).

I have applied for a co-op account as it has the highest overdraft of any of the other banks.
  • jase951
    jase951 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    someone wrote: »
    I've been told that the underwriters will only let students have £1750 in the first year (asked for an extention between my 1st and 2nd year, they were still classing me as a first year student)
    Ditto this. That's the impression I got from the last conversation with them over the phone. I've got £1750 at the moment they would not let me increase it - first year.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year in Medschool and have been with Halifax for two years now. I also have a term time job in which i'm contracted to work 60 hours month, earning about £500 a month. So, I have regular student loan payments plus monthy earnings going into my account. I do have a credit card which is just under 1000 in debt, but I have no outstanding payments, have an ok credit rating and regular payments going in. Despite this, everytime I ask for an increase in my overdraft I'm turned down. I will need the overdraft because I will have to quit my job for the clinical years. I currently have a £1000 overdraft limit.

This could be the key reason - as a student, you only have a limited source of income, so if you owe £1k on a credit card, that's a large amount of debt that you already have.
  • What about everyone that isn't in that situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure