The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Leaving work, notice period

Hi

My partner handed in his notice for him job as we have just had a baby and I wasn’t coping and really needed him at home. He had to give 1 weeks notice but only worked 3 of them days and was off sick for 2, last day he was due to work he phoned in and said he wasnt working it and he would pop in and give keys back, reason for that was the manager became childish and she was slagging him off to other work staff and also deleted him off Facebook lol:rotfl: . Anyway I know the company doesn’t pay sick pay but should he have been paid for the 3 days he did work even tho he didn’t work his full notice. Also he had 8days holiday left but we assumed he wouldn’t get that anyway is that correct?

Many thanks

Comments

• Meljay wrote: »
    Hi

My partner handed in his notice for him job as we have just had a baby and I wasn’t coping and really needed him at home. He had to give 1 weeks notice but only worked 3 of them days and was off sick for 2, last day he was due to work he phoned in and said he wasnt working it and he would pop in and give keys back, reason for that was the manager became childish and she was slagging him off to other work staff and also deleted him off Facebook lol:rotfl: . Anyway I know the company doesn’t pay sick pay but should he have been paid for the 3 days he did work even tho he didn’t work his full notice. Also he had 8days holiday left but we assumed he wouldn’t get that anyway is that correct?

Many thanks
    So your OH broke his contract.....thats nice of him, perhaps don't expect a good reference when he decides to go back to work some time in the future....

They need to pay the 3 days and any accrued holiday up to the point he left (that doesn't mean the whole years allowance), they could theoretically sue him for breach of contract for the one day he refused to work but this is highly unlikely, they're just making him work for his money in retaliation.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,287
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I take it he does realise that as he resigned he is unlikely to get benefits for up to 26 weeks ?

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/resigning-job
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Meljay wrote: »
    Hi

My partner handed in his notice for him job as we have just had a baby and I wasn’t coping and really needed him at home. He had to give 1 weeks notice but only worked 3 of them days and was off sick for 2, last day he was due to work he phoned in and said he wasnt working it and he would pop in and give keys back, reason for that was the manager became childish and she was slagging him off to other work staff and also deleted him off Facebook lol - so he wasn't ill? :rotfl: . Anyway I know the company doesn’t pay sick pay but should he have been paid for the 3 days he did work even tho he didn’t work his full notice. Also he had 8days holiday left but we assumed he wouldn’t get that anyway is that correct?

Many thanks
    He should be paid for all hours worked and all accrued holidays
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family