Scratch & Dent Insurance Cancelled

Options
Hi there

Would like some advice please. I have a Scratch and Dent insurance policy with Dial Direct - I pay £7 a month. I have claimed once

They have written to me to give me 40 days notice of them cancelling my cover (on its first anniversary) which they say they can do under the T&Cs. The problem I have is that I cannot get replacement cover. You are required to take out this sort of cover within 30 /90 days of acquiring the car. I've now had the car nearly a year.

Any suggestion about how I can replace the cover or if I have rights - obviously I would not have taken a policy with them if I'd known this would happen

Thanks

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The policy only running for a year will have been in the terms and conditions, not reading them doesn't invalidate this.

Once a car is a year old it's at the point people are more likely to not care about bumps and scratches so don't drive as carefully as a new car so they presumably no longer wish to offer the cover
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The policy document will show the rights to cancel for both sides (both you and the insurer)

You will have agreed to the policy TS & CS when taking out the policy
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A 'smart repair' for a small scratch or scuff often only costs about £50 - maybe with a discount if you have a few done at the same time.

On one hand, the insurers probably get a good discount from the repairers, but on the other hand the insurers probably aim to make a healthy profit from premiums.

So you might find that, over time, it costs about the same to pay for repairs as it does to pay insurance premiums.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure