Newly qualified young driver - building up no claims bonus

Options

Comments

• keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Once you have it in writing from another insurer your sorted.
    So take out a policy with the original insurer and after a year you have the proof to go to any other insurer.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    keith1950 wrote: »
    Once you have it in writing from another insurer your sorted.
    So take out a policy with the original insurer and after a year you have the proof to go to any other insurer.

https://www.co-opinsurance.co.uk/carinsurance/named-driver-discount

"This benefit cannot be transferred to other companies. Renewal documentation will only show the amount of NCD the named driver has earned on their own policy."
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Not sure if zennith still do the named driver ncb, the ncb was recognised by other insurers when speaking with them.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MinnieVickie
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I'll keep looking and ask a broker for some help. Thank you
  • keith1950
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poppyoscar.....that's for the Coop....I have had experience of AXA and Admiral and both gave the total discount on renewal ( named driver discount + plus the year as main driver.)
  • MinnieVickie
    Options
    Thank you keith1950 that's useful to know to ask about.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    https://www.co-opinsurance.co.uk/carinsurance/named-driver-discount

"This benefit cannot be transferred to other companies. Renewal documentation will only show the amount of NCD the named driver has earned on their own policy."
    I think this varies between companies and co op are unusual in doing this. Once the named driver has had their own policy for a year I think most will just show it in writing as if it were a proper NCD which you can then take to any insurer.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Admiral don't. My wife was given a hefty discount when she became a main driver after years as a named driver, but the following year, her renewal pack still only included a certificate of one year's no claims.
  • keith1950
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well they can't be very consistent because they did give the total no claims ( named driver +one actual ) for my son and my daughter so please don't generalise based on one experience.
    My daughter actually got 4 years named plus one actual so was given 5 years at renewal.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2018 at 9:09AM
    Options
    keith1950 wrote: »
    Poppyoscar.....that's for the Coop....I have had experience of AXA and Admiral and both gave the total discount on renewal ( named driver discount + plus the year as main driver.)

We aren't talking about internal discounts though.

Poppy is saying that Admiral or Axa MAY give you 5 years discount if you've been with them 5 years as a named driver, But if that named driver wanted to get a policy with Churchill. Admiral may say they have 0 ZERO Claims bonus as it was only an Internal promotion/Discount with them and not transferrable.

From Admiral's T&C
    Can a named driver on my policy earn their own?
    Yes, named driver No Claims Bonus applies and they can build up their own to use on another Admiral policy, ready for when they take out their own insurance. It's ideal if you've put your son or daughter on your policy, as it should help make their insurance easier to afford when they have their own car and take out a new Admiral-group policy in their own name.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport