Not offered interview by NHS despite meeting all criteria for Guaranteed Interview Scheme

Hello I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to do please-

I applied for a job as a security officer with the NHS.
I do suffer from a disability, and so ticked the box saying I wished to be processed under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

It said that providing the applicant meets the 'required' person specs they would then be guaranteed an interview.
And the specs for this role was pretty basic stuff like having a good level of education, previous customer service experience, previous security officer experience, and teamwork experience.

I personally have 2 degrees, 10years of experience in the public security sector (including 2years experience within a prison officer role & working in a mental-health hospital), plus done various security officer roles in fast paced public facing environments... ect
So I not only meet all the 'required' person spec criteria, but also actually meet all the 'desired' elements listed in the person specs too.
(The application form didn't ask questions or anything, just for you to list your previous employment history... ect, but so I included all of mine which clearly shows I meet the basic specified 'required' criteria listed in the person specs).

However when I checked my application status it said I was unsuccessful in even getting offered an interview, despite me being eligible for the guaranteed interview scheme.

I have emailed the contact person listed on the job ad/and the HR department of this hospital, to politely enquire about this situation,
but have had no reply from any of them. :/

But so if anyone else has any advice on what I should do that'd be much appreciated?
As whilst ofcourse they have no obligation to offer me a job or anything, they do have an obligation to offer disabled people an interview providing they meet the minimum required criteria (as I do).

Thanks

Comments

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Did you put stuff down in additional information section to explain why your a good fit for the role and how you meet the the requirements?
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Autumn868
    Autumn868 Posts: 66
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes I put a few paragraphs in that section firstly clearly explaining all the academic qualifications, professional qualifications, and in-job training courses + qualifications/awards which I have got.
    (One of my degrees is directly relevant to the security & emergency services sector)

And then wrote a few paragraphs stating the previous work experience which I've gained over these past 10years, including a short description which each of my 3
    main jobs of what my key duties were in each role and the skills/experience which I gained from each.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Call the recruiting person and maybe ask why you didn!!!8217;t get one
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Autumn868
    Forumite
    They don't list a 'recruitment phone number' or email address directly, as it's quite a small hospital compared to most other London based ones,
    but I did manage to find out the email address of 6-7 various HR staff for the hospital, and so emailed all of them.

I was concerned that phoning may come across as abit 'confrontational' almost though,
    hence why email was my preferred method of communication.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do a FOI for the role asking how many applicants they had for the post, how many met the GIS criteria, how many people were offered an interview, and of these, how many were GIS candidates.

When you get a reply, a letter to Head of HR/ Director of HR for the trust enquiring how your application was mishandled.

It won't change the past but you might discover whether the post has actually been filled and if not, get another chance, or if cancelled, an offer for another post might suddenly materialise.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Autumn868
    Forumite
    Thank-you, I'll send that FOI request in this afternoon.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Perhaps they think you're overqualified for the role which is why you haven't been selected - I assume that the guaranteed interview scheme is more targeted at those who are otherwise underqualified for said role.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Autumn868 wrote: »
    They don't list a 'recruitment phone number' or email address directly, as it's quite a small hospital compared to most other London based ones,
    but I did manage to find out the email address of 6-7 various HR staff for the hospital, and so emailed all of them.

I was concerned that phoning may come across as abit 'confrontational' almost though,
    hence why email was my preferred method of communication.

Emailing six or seven people will come across as unprofessional. In future keep it to one, even if it's the wrong person they'll direct you to the right person.

Where a job has multiple applicants it's not unusual for the employer to increase the minimum requirements, that's what may have happened here. Given that you have applied under the GIS they'll hopefully give you feedback as to whether this is the case, or something else.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    nicechap wrote: »
    Do a FOI for the role asking how many applicants they had for the post, how many met the GIS criteria, how many people were offered an interview, and of these, how many were GIS candidates.

When you get a reply, a letter to Head of HR/ Director of HR for the trust enquiring how your application was mishandled.

It won't change the past but you might discover whether the post has actually been filled and if not, get another chance, or if cancelled, an offer for another post might suddenly materialise.

That's complete overkill at this stage, OP should wait for the initial response first. Jumping in with FOI requests and complaints is going to mark them out as someone they definitely don't want to employ, irrespective of disability.

(Remember that even if OP gets an interview there's no guarantee of a job offer.)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Autumn868 wrote: »
    Hello I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to do please-

I applied for a job as a security officer with the NHS.
    I do suffer from a disability, and so ticked the box saying I wished to be processed under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

It said that providing the applicant meets the 'required' person specs they would then be guaranteed an interview.
    And the specs for this role was pretty basic stuff like having a good level of education, previous customer service experience, previous security officer experience, and teamwork experience.

I personally have 2 degrees, 10years of experience in the public security sector (including 2years experience within a prison officer role & working in a mental-health hospital), plus done various security officer roles in fast paced public facing environments... ect
    So I not only meet all the 'required' person spec criteria, but also actually meet all the 'desired' elements listed in the person specs too.
    (The application form didn't ask questions or anything, just for you to list your previous employment history... ect, but so I included all of mine which clearly shows I meet the basic specified 'required' criteria listed in the person specs).

However when I checked my application status it said I was unsuccessful in even getting offered an interview, despite me being eligible for the guaranteed interview scheme.

I have emailed the contact person listed on the job ad/and the HR department of this hospital, to politely enquire about this situation,
    but have had no reply from any of them. :/

But so if anyone else has any advice on what I should do that'd be much appreciated?
    As whilst ofcourse they have no obligation to offer me a job or anything, they do have an obligation to offer disabled people an interview providing they meet the minimum required criteria (as I do).

Thanks

how long did you wait for a reply,also what was the gap between this and the swathe of other emails you sent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure