Iii

Comments

• le_loup wrote: »
    SVS cheap but ...
    website - for example - nowhere near H-L. True, you can research in other places, but SVS seems about as informative as III - no, not even as informative as III.
    Who'd have thought that I would be praising H-L? ;)

I have all my individual shares with SVS and some investment trusts as well, and like Masonic I have found them to be excellent, I am still pinching myself because I can't believe how reasonable their prices are, and their service has been faultless. Their website is basic but it does everything I need it to do, and if I want to carry out research I can just go to HL, Trustnet etc. so I can't see any downside to using SVS. I still hold a few funds in a SIPP with HL anyway, a couple of their own funds and an Invesco Perpetual Pension Fund that III don't trade and I didn't want to sell, so I still have access to their fund recommendations/reports etc.
  • JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    All I can say is that since leaving III my accounts have operated brilliantly.
    With AJ Bell for funds
    With X-O for shares.
    Just wish I had never become involved with III.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JenniferK wrote: »
    All I can say is that since leaving III my accounts have operated brilliantly.
    With AJ Bell for funds
    With X-O for shares.
    Just wish I had never become involved with III.

But isn't it a case of you pay a lot less with III but in doing so you suffer with service ? - Just like Hargreaves Lansdown is probably the complete opposite ?
  • darren72 wrote: »
    But isn't it a case of you pay a lot less with III but in doing so you suffer with service ? - Just like Hargreaves Lansdown is probably the complete opposite ?

It is a case of that, Darren, you get what you pay for I guess but there comes a point at which you have to evaluate whether the level of service is so poor and the stress level so high that in spite of the cost savings you can no longer tolerate it. It depends on how much value you put on your time I suppose. I am soldiering on with it, because I am a skinflint who has to watch the pennies and has time on my hands but I find it immensely frustrating and stressful. I also do not have the energy to embark upon another transfer, which quite apart from the stress factor would work out costly for me as I have a large number of holdings.The fact that III are cheap doesn't absolve them from providing a level of service that is at the bare minimum fit for purpose. From what I read AJ Bell are not that much more expensive than III and JenniferK reports back that they are spot on. Don't think I would have gone with III despite the cost saving if I had had a crystal ball last February.....
  • darren72
    Thanks - How about iweb - I believe they are quite cheap (comparable to III) - Has anyone had any experience on what they are like for service ?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,242 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    darren72 wrote: »
    Thanks - How about iweb - I believe they are quite cheap (comparable to III) - Has anyone had any experience on what they are like for service ?
    I don't have any personal experience, but I've been doing a bit of research into IWeb recently. There's a fair bit of feedback, almost all positive. The only negative thing I could find was that if you are trading real time, their system can freeze up during busy times, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are using them for a buy and hold portfolio.
  • JenniferK
    darren72 wrote: »

There are no costs X-O and the service is great.
  • JenniferK
    juliamarsh wrote: »
    .The fact that III are cheap doesn't absolve them from providing a level of service that is at the bare minimum fit for purpose. From what I read AJ Bell are not that much more expensive than III and JenniferK reports back that they are spot on. Don't think I would have gone with III despite the cost saving if I had had a crystal ball last February.....

Maximum cost of AJ Bell is £200 v £80 fo III, but it could be less as it depends on the size of ones porfolio.
  • darren72
    Thanks for the replies.

With there being so many companies offering these services, it would be great if there was a price comparison for them all - I saw something about a year ago, but prices have changed since and I can't find anything up to date.
  • JenniferK wrote: »
    There are no costs X-O and the service is great.

SVS is also great for shares and ETFs, from what I can see they are much the same as X-O, the only charge they make is a flat dealing charge of £5.75 per trade.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure