Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks newgirly, I sometimes take on too much. I've steppped down from another year of uni (mainly due to funding issues) but also think it would have created a lot of stress. I can become more knowledgable in my overall practice instead of writing 15,000 words on a topic instead! I'm so used to studying I almost expect it of myself. I did a degree 2001-2004, my chosen career degree 2006-2010 then my post grad a few years ago.

Think I'll enjoy the freedom of not being thrown back into formal study!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/clementine-almond-and-olive-oil-cake

Cath, I made the above last night and thought of you, as I think, if you use GF baking powder this recipe would be GF. And yummy :D

Bet you can't wait to put the next £330 on the mortgage to get in to the next 10s bracket.
  • CathT
    That looks good, thank you purple fairy.

Busy day today, full day at work then went straight to the gym and did 40 minutes of leg weights. Increased weights again on walking lunges and deadlifts so am definitely getting stronger.
    Gym bag repacked ready for another session after work tomorrow. I'm trying to go when dh is at activities with the children so it's not impacting on family time. Then at the weekends, I take them with me and we also have a swim. Not long hit my 15k steps so going to sit and read for a bit before bed.

I still feel life could me more simplified, just not quite sure how we achieve this. I don't watch tv really when I'm on my own anymore and used to waste so much time doing that. I think it's this point of the evening I need to me mindful of having quality time doing something I enjoy.

Talking of enjoyment, my long awaited plans for Friday aren't happening due to the storm that is forecast so off to work I go!

Financial news? Put ds remaining birthday money in his bank account. After his initial excitement of counting it on his birthday he appears to have forgotten about it so it's in his account earning 3% interest! Small food shop of £12.65 so need to update totals. Had the most delicious GF meal from m*s earlier. Tasty but definitely not worth the £4 cost, glad I hadn't paid for it! Starting to miss simple meals such as a snack on toast.

Hump day tomorrow and lovely weather forecast so shall enjoy it whilst it lasts!
  • CathT
    Quick check in as have brought myself to bed after a draining day. Didn't make it to the gym as was so busy in work this afternoon I was just exhausted afterwards. Got home to a delivery of a bespoke item I ordered and i was really disappointed with it. Lots of time and energy spent dealing with that.

However, tomorrow is a new day and one day closer to payday!!

October spends
    Supermarket £50.33
    Fuel £30
  • CathT
    Today has been rather more balanced. Managed to get up early so was productive before work. Managed to source a cheap lunch despite not having much prepped (had gluten free bread lurking in the freezer thankfully). I find if we don't have a batch of soup done I struggle for lunches as it's my 'go to'. Either that or a GF roll which we had also run out of. Bulk bought some protein powder online so have taken that from food budget and included it in supermarket spends as I sometimes have a protein shake for breakfast so it counts as a meal.

35 points on y0ugov, nothing to Tilly tidy as we are about to go overdrawn. We have had unexpected expenses of a £160 birthday party and £40 towards a school trip to pay for. Fingers crossed some excess in the food/fuel account will help reduce the amount as we count down to payday!

October spends
    Supermarket £110
    Fuel £58
  • CathT
    Morning. It's pouring here and my little adventure scheduled for yesterday has been postponed until next weekend. Crossed fingers for no weather warnings!

Actually set my alarm for a Saturday which is unheard of as I'm planning to go to the gym, smash a double workout as probably won't get there tomorrow. I also want to be back for dh to take dd to her football match (hoping it's cancelled but no decision made yet) and I don't want ds standing in the damp even though he doesn't seem to mind!

We are now in our overdraft, not drastically and some careful food spending this week should offset that a little. Dh did a big (for us) food shop yesterday, £58 in @ldi but that included party food for tomorrow and two birthday cakes.

Have investigated why we are feeling the pinch this month and have worked out our unexpected spends to be.....

Gym enrolment and first month
    £56
    Piano tuning £50
    Birthday party £160
    School trip £40
    Christmas event £105
    Chalkboard £50
    Total ~~~~~~~ £461!!

Maybe we can forgive ourselves for being less that £100 overdrawn!

Have hung ourchalkboard in the Kitchen and after a command strip disaster braved the mails and hammer. I bent a couple of screws but who'll notice! Have some nice chalk pens due to be delivered so will hold off using it until then as our jumbo chalks aren't brilliant. Will save those for outdoor play or craft.

Im so pleased we finally have one, with that and our fake log burner we are creating our very own Center p@rcs!

Have a youg0v survey waiting which I'll tackle later.

Today I need to

Smash 2 workouts at gym
    Do 15k+++ steps (soooo close to goal now!!)
    Find walking boots and trousers
    Tidy breakfast bar
    Buy milk
    Arrange new mortgage deal
    Plan October savings/OP's/spends

Have a great Saturday everyone, off to get ready for the gym.
  • CathT
    October spends

Food £167.93
    Fuel £58
  • Just stopping by to say 'hello' as I've not been on the boards for months! :wave: I love the idea of simplifying life and I've been trying to do the same too, there's a lot to be said for simple pleasures and time gleaned from not watching tv.

MGx
    :jMortgage free 08.08.19 :j
    2018: £19410.25 / £9,300 2017: £7646.64 / £11,000 2016: 4557.98 / £11,000 2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000 2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    MF date was Nov 2041 - mortgage neutral 23.07.18

• CathT
    Good to see you here MG, thanks for popping in. I've been across to your diary for a catch up.

Well it's been a fairly productive weekend. Managed to go to the gym twice, lost 1.4lb this week and think we (dh and I) have finally worked out how to use bodyfat callipers correctly.

Sorted out some clothes this weekend and have packed away summer hats and glasses and thrown away out of date suncream. That has freed up a shelf in a cupboard in the utility room. Shame you can't move for washing in there! Found my walking boots and trousers and have put them safely to one side ready for next weekend. Have also packed away some summer clothes to free up much needed wardrobe space. Just need to buy some more coat hangers and I should be more organised.

Batch cooked some red lentil pasta for lunches, peanut butter granola bars for snacks and enjoyed a roast beef dinner today. Being GF meant I also didn't have any of the cakes on offer today.

Did a couple of supermarket shops spending £22.45 so need to add that to my total.

Apart from ringing FD to arrange a callback to secure new mortgage rate there is no other MFW news, there are however only 9 (almost 8) days until payday.
  • CathT
    The month end lull continues! Don't even have any money to Tilly tidy. The food/fuel account however should remain in credit until payday. Few bits and pieces needed which dh will pick up tomorrow.

Going to have to really motivate myself to fit in gym workouts this week as both weekend days are out. Off out on a Saturday and Sunday will be recovering so there's 2 workouts gone already, will aim to go straight from work tomorrow

Had some gluten earlier (first time in just over a week) in the form of cherry pie (my favourite!) but am starting with a headache which is really frustrating. Bed is calling so hopefully I can sleep it off.

On a more positive note, had a wonderful parents evening for dd, it's good to know she's enjoying school so much.

Plan for the remaining days until payday are: as many NSD's as possible, careful meal planning and as much relaxation as possible.

October spends

Supermarket £194.33
    Fuel £58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback