Universal JObmatch

Hi i'm new here.

I signed up to Universal JObmatch, but then do I have to log-on and apply for jobs everyday?

Comments

• mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    You certainly have to apply for jobs every week. Depends upon your Jobsearch agreement whether
    you have to do it daily or not.
    Don;t allow the DWP access to your account, would be my advice. You don;t have to despite what the Jobcentre may tell you. You must sign up to Universal Jobmatch and you must put a CV onto it, but you don;t have to give the DWP access to it.

The number of jobs advertised on Universal Jobmatch has gone down massively in the past six weeks or so. They must have started weeding out fake and duplicate jobs!
    In my postcode area, a search within 30 miles would come up with 500+ jobs a day+ not long ago. Now it seems to be between 120 and 250.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    there is nothing wrong with letting them access the account, they are not going to hack it and take your bank details or anything. You can make their life a little more difficult, they may do the same to you though.

You dont have to search for job exclusively through that site, the part where you list the jobs you have looked for allows you to add notes regarding jobs you have looked for outside of the website.

If you keep everything on there then when you see your adviser you/they can see everything you did with no issue.
  • mattcanary
    edited 22 June 2017 at 6:59AM
    there is nothing wrong with letting them access the account, they are not going to hack it and take your bank details or anything. You can make their life a little more difficult, they may do the same to you though.

You dont have to search for job exclusively through that site, the part where you list the jobs you have looked for allows you to add notes regarding jobs you have looked for outside of the website.

If you keep everything on there then when you see your adviser you/they can see everything you did with no issue.

Why risk the threat of sanctions at the hands of a sadistic member of staff, (they do exist), without having to?
    What happens if your computer develops a fault and has to be taken in for repairs? You may well not be able to access Universal Jobmatch for a short period of time, whilst being repaired. Not your fault, but it could happen - and other unforeseen events. Eg: a close relative being rushed to hospital with a serious illness.

Why take the risk?

Besides, would you let an insurance company have access to what you have done on a day-to-day basis, or Tescos, or any other company?
    Why should it be any different with the DWP, just so that they can judge you without really knowing anything about you. Giving them access doens;t help you find work in any shape or form - it's just one-sided help for the DWP. It's Big Brother and it's not healthy for society to have authorities constantly looking over your shoulder.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    UJM is a poorly designed site and there are better ones out there for job hunting. Which is why I declined to give them access - I wasn't risking a sanction for a site that wasn't fit for purpose.
    OP, of course you need to job hunt every day but you don't have to use UJM to do it if there are other alternatives that suit you better. And you need to fully evidence what you are doing.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mattcanary
    elsien wrote: »
    UJM is a poorly designed site and there are better ones out there for job hunting. Which is why I declined to give them access - I wasn't risking a sanction for a site that wasn't fit for purpose.
    OP, of course you need to job hunt every day but you don't have to use UJM to do it if there are other alternatives that suit you better. And you need to fully evidence what you are doing.

Well, you could jobsearch for ten hours three days a week, 7 hours on one other day and no hours on the other three days if you want to?
    You;re still jobsearching full-time by doing this, which is actually what the government says you must do if out of work and claiming benefits.

That is perfectly fine, yet giving DWP access to Universal Jobmatch lays yourself open to being sanctioned, for this type of thing.

Can;t see how anyone can occupy themselves full-time with jobsearching tasks for weeks on end anyway!
  • mattcanary
    edited 22 June 2017 at 7:13AM

As they can, if you hand them a piece of paper outlining all the jobsearch steps you have taken.

The DWP probably won;t hack your account or obtain personal details about you for dodgy purposes, but that doesn't stop other organisations from doing this if you allow everyone to view your account.
  • Explains why Indeed is becoming pants now, where jobs will quickly expire after 2 days despite have a July closing date, then you find it's part time counterpart posted at same time still remaining, lots of jobs manage to be advertised without salary, and if I were a depressed job seeker I'm not so sure I'd want to see a red line nearest a job applied for which said "Employer not interested" after receiving the auto rejection notice from the employer already, it must be easy to post a job without much care and attention more then ever these days. No idea which board you'd trust and not sure any of them are masters in recording a pipeline. Alas I do know of someone who recruited via UJM, it was quite a good job and they said we put it out there on both indeed and Universal job match first, so was pretty clear unemployed people would take president.

Of course could be sites are preparing for schools out, it's about the time isn't it so no fear OP of getting a job...
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Another question on this as I am a recent claimer. Can you only give them access when you are having your weekly review. Then untick the box when the meeting has finished so they can only look at your account when you are meeting with the JSA adviser.

Don't fancy any JCP person being able to look at my account 24/7
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    i assure you, an adviser has no interest in you or your account unless you are sitting in front of him/her and they are being paid to work with you.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    i assure you, an adviser has no interest in you or your account unless you are sitting in front of him/her and they are being paid to work with you.

Uncertain of this as when i went to claim Last week. I noticed a couple of staff having time on their hands fiddling on their phones. Not very professional. Plus i asked at the time, will it just be my job coach who will have access to my Account and she confirmed any job centre staff would be able to view it. My Minds made up when i go next. They wont be having access to my Account so box will be unticked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure