What benefits am i entitled to if living with parents?

Me and OH are due our little girl in Feb and currently live together but in Jan we are moving into our respective parents houses in order to cut our outgoings and save for a mortgage.

Our joint income is less than 25k
My mum and dads household income is more than 35k
and my income alone is about 4k

Which do they use to work our benefits if i am living with mum and dad even though me and OH are still a couple?

I am due to get Child benefit and £27 a week maternity allowance. Do i qualify for anything else?

Help appreciated.
Sarah x
DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035

Comments

• LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    You can claim child tax credits once the baby is born. Your claim would be as a single person as you do not live with your partner, and your parents don't count as you are not part of 'a couple' with them.

You may also qualify for Income support.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    LizzieS wrote: »
    You can claim child tax credits once the baby is born. Your claim would be as a single person as you do not live with your partner, and your parents don't count as you are not part of 'a couple' with them.

They are not single though and still very much connected financially - they are saving (jointly) for a house!!

Are you suggesting the tax payer should keep mum and children while dad saves their money??

Jeez, I've heard it all now!!

I hope that is fraud!!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    bestpud wrote: »
    They are not single though and still very much connected financially - they are saving (jointly) for a house!!

Are you suggesting the tax payer should keep mum and children while dad saves their money??

I hope that is fraud!!

Don't lose all hope! I have definitely heard of couples still being classed as a couple for benefits purposes even though they are living apart. I think the OP needs to clarify their position with the DWP/ HMRC. ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite

Well she may aswell go the full way and claim child support since you are suggesting she is a single parent. :rolleyes:
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • LizzieS_2
    bestpud wrote: »

I hope that is fraud!!

Apologies, yes they would have to claim as a couple.

PS. My post was not based on personal opinion at all, otherwise it would have said something very different ;)
  • bestpud wrote: »

I hope that is fraud!!

You took the words right out of my mouth,if it looks like fraud,smells like fraud and taste like fraud then it usually is......fraud
  • Forgive me for asking the obvious - as you are struggling now, how the heck are you going to cope with a child & mortgage? Wouldn't you do better to live as a family and rent? House ownership not being what it was and all that......
  • LizzieS_2
    Forgive me for asking the obvious - as you are struggling now, how the heck are you going to cope with a child & mortgage? Wouldn't you do better to live as a family and rent? House ownership not being what it was and all that......

I cannot speak for OP, but I can see renting was a testing of the relationship, followed by the pregnancy being unplanned and the purchase being a future investment for the child. Well it's the only conclusion really that makes sense!

Rent and bills are not cheap, parents are a good way of saving a deposit as they tend to allow cheap boardings.

The real importance here is for the couple and child to be together, so as much as I admire their determination to buy, I would have prefered both sets of parents to have all 3 for say 6 months at a time to avoid strains on the relationship.
  • bestpud
    As I see it, they want to have their cake and eat it.

If they really are worried about the future job market and her partner being out of work, or earning less, then they will be in a far better position by renting.

As long as they get a house that is suitable for their needs, then LHA will pick up the tab of any job losses and they can still, of course, claim tax credits if their income lowers - they only need one of them to be working 16 hours or more.

The family stay together, they aren't risking prosecution for fraud, and the tax payer is hit less.

If they go ahead with it then I hope someone reports them quick smart!

We'd all like our own home but for some of us it is not possible at this time. Well tough! That's the way the cookie crumbles. It is not the tax payers responsibility to fund their dreams!

I'm beginning to despair with the attitude of some families - since when was it all about money??
  • bestpud
    I cannot speak for OP, but I can see renting was a testing of the relationship, followed by the pregnancy being unplanned and the purchase being a future investment for the child. Well it's the only conclusion really that makes sense!

Rent and bills are not cheap, parents are a good way of saving a deposit as they tend to allow cheap boardings.

The real importance here is for the couple and child to be together, so as much as I admire their determination to buy, I would have prefered both sets of parents to have all 3 for say 6 months at a time to avoid strains on the relationship.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd have thought a stable family environment was the best future investment for their child. Seems to me they have their priorities all wrong.

I know parents can be a good option for saving BUT that is usually BEFORE they go on to start a relationship and get pregnant!

They don't want to stay with one set of parents though, do they, as they will lose out on the single parent benefits they are hoping to claim!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure