Which would you choose as a motorway cruiser?

Comments

• Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Tom99 wrote: »
    I used to get 60mpg+ with my 320D on a motorway

This my dilemma.
    The 320d efficientdynamic offers 60 mpg.
    The Q50 offers 44 mpg
    and the mazda 50mpg.

Based on real world MPG here

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

The cost per month, based on 17k miles @ £1.30 a litre is:
    320d: £140
    Q50: £190
    M6: £167

Question is, is the BMW likely to cost £600 more a year than the Q50 or £324 more than the M6 to maintain? Because that would be the fuel saving.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You doing 17k miles a year in an actual M6 would cost substantially more than £167 per month :rotfl:
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Question is, is the BMW likely to cost £600 more a year than the Q50 or £324 more than the M6 to maintain? Because that would be the fuel saving.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes quite possibly. I sold my 320D when it was 6 yrs old because I was worried about future high costs.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of the things I had already paid out £400 for was a new boot wiring loom which according to BMW had reached the end of its useful life. Can you believe that, a wiring loom with a life of 5 years![/FONT]
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    You doing 17k miles a year in an actual M6 would cost substantially more than £167 per month :rotfl:

Have you misread the thread and are thinking M6 means a BMW M6 series vehicle? M6 here means Mazda 6.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ginashamz wrote: »
    Revs are always high (4k) doing 70mph on 6th gear,
    I'd get that checked.... My far-less exciting Focus sits at 2400 rpm in 6th at 70. I don't know what the MX5 sits at but it doesn't sound any higher.

As for the OP... Skoda Superb? Not as cool maybe but on a par with the Mazda 6.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I must admit, I love motorway cruising in my Beamer but my old man owns a Bluemotion 08 VW Passat which is surprisingly nice to drive long distances. Very smooth and super efficient.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:48AM
    This my dilemma.
    The 320d efficientdynamic offers 60 mpg.
    The Q50 offers 44 mpg
    and the mazda 50mpg.

Based on real world MPG here

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

The cost per month, based on 17k miles @ £1.30 a litre is:
    320d: £140
    Q50: £190
    M6: £167

Check the service intervals. The Mazda 6 needs to be serviced every year or 12000 miles - I suspect the BMW may go further between services.

Also with my Mazda 6 I do an intermediate oil change at 6000 miles because I have found the oil condition deteriorates to 0% before the service interval is up. I wouldn't say the Mazda 6 is a cheap car to run.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have a Mazda6 Estate, bought new 9 years ago.

Excellent motorway cruiser. I often did 400-500 miles a day in it and it was extremely comfortable. My wife uses it mostly now and also does lots of motorway miles. Very reliable over the 151,000 miles it has now done. It consistently returns 46-48mpg.

I haven't driven either of the others but I can recommend the Mazda as a decent choice.
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I'd get that checked.... My far-less exciting Focus sits at 2400 rpm in 6th at 70. I don't know what the MX5 sits at but it doesn't sound any higher.

As for the OP... Skoda Superb? Not as cool maybe but on a par with the Mazda 6.

I think it does a tad under 4k at 70mph but I know it does 4.2k RPM at 80mph. Its a high revving engine (redlines at nearly 10k RPM) so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's not really designed to be a motorway cruiser, but at high speeds it does have excellent stability and the ability to change lanes very quickly than a more conventional car.
  • Check the service intervals. The Mazda 6 needs to be serviced every year or 12000 miles - I suspect the BMW may go further between services.

Also with my Mazda 6 I do an intermediate oil change at 6000 miles because I have found the oil condition deteriorates to 0% before the service interval is up. I wouldn't say the Mazda 6 is a cheap car to run.
    `

that's good point and will check it out. When I bought a Citroen c1 brand new almost 2 years ago now (purely for the cost), I had a choice between a 1.0 and 1.2. For some reason, the 1.2 only requires servicing everything 16k whilst the 1.0 is 10k. Quite strange no? that's a big saving in servicing.

Its cheap as chips, everything cheap from the tyres to the breaks but it is so unsettled at speeds >65mph and is simply not very comfortable at high speeds. With a new job on the horizon, I don't think I can live with it. There isn't much choice in the saloon class as the supermini class. I will surely check out the skoda too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure