Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Over 5 years with EDF and the only problems I had were caused by Northern Energy not sending the quailfied engineer to change meters when we had GCH installed. We had ancient Night Storage heaters and Economy 7 before then: very expensive and no heating left in the storage bricks after 4 pm. All bungalows in our Close had the change at the same time and all had been using 3 Phase meters, (Sheltered Housing, alarm systems) which had to be changed to single phase. N.E. delayed the process for months and we all paid too much as a result. EDF managed to get this sorted for our own supply, gave us compensation for overpayments and hassle, then negotiated with N.E. for us to get additional compensation from them. I relayed all information to others and some managed to get their suppliers to sort it out, but some did not.

Since then I have carried out regular comparisons and EDF have been less expensive than most, but not enough of a difference to make me lose their very good customer service and a website better than any other. I have their Online Feb '19 tariff and I pay £73 a month for Dual Fuel. In the past, when I have noted a large Credit amount, I negotiated a refund using the very efficient website chatline and reached a compromise sum. If they ever say that I need to pay more and propose an amount, I use the Chatline to negotiate again.

I take meter readings myself every two months and send them to the website. I get a new bill notification within 48 hours, never less, sent to my email address. It all works beautifully and it would take something special to make me switch. EDF have been great to us.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is anyone else having a problem logging in to their EDF Energy account?

I've been getting a message about "technical problems" for a few days now when I try to log in.

Just wondered if it is just me or whether is it a general problem.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is anyone else having a problem logging in to their EDF Energy account?

I've been getting a message about "technical problems" for a few days now when I try to log in.

Just wondered if it is just me or whether is it a general problem.
    Just tested mine and was able to log in ok.
  • Switched to EDF last year (from BG) via MSE cheap energy club. The switch didn't really go that smoothly, but we got there in the end.

EDF then told me that the smart meters which BG had installed a short while beforehand weren't compatible with their systems, and were therefore useless.

HOWEVER ... the real problems were last month when I initiated a switch away from EDF to Tonik (again via MSE).

Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong.

Their estimate was way too low - based on the previous billed reading from last November, it would've suggested that I'd have spent most of last winter with my central heating switched off! Again, I explained this to them but they were having none of it, arguing the toss about how my reading couldn't possibly be right because it didn't tally with their estimate.

The customer service staff at EDF who deal with e-mails are totally useless - cut-and-paste responses, a patronising attitude, sometimes a tenuous command of the English language, slow to respond, no consistency as regards a point of contact.

Eventually I resorted to getting in touch with them via Twitter - at least this produced a response from a UK-based member of staff and they stepped in to get things moving for me. Even then, though, the contact centre staff didn't want to play ball and accept the reading. I even had an e-mail from one of them saying that the only way they'd accept what I was saying is if I sent them a photograph of the meter showing the reading and the serial number!

Effectively, they were stopping just short of actually saying straight out "sorry, but we think you're lying to us and won't believe you until you send us a photo of the current reading". Any company who calls their customers liars is definitely not one who I'd want to do business with!

Eventually (last weekend, a month after sending in my readings) they grudgingly accepted that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one and agreed to issue a final bill based on what I'd submitted to them.

I tend to shop around every year or two to keep my energy bills low, and change supplier to whoever offers the best deal at the time. However, there's no way on the good earth that I'd ever take my business to EDF again. They're a bunch of clowns.
  • Their tariff renewal page is dishonest. It quotes the rates for current and new tariffs, with the latter clearly higher, but mysteriously the projection is lower for the new tariff, as the projection is based on the SVR, not the actual tariff I'm on. This is just designed to mislead people. Show the actual price rise from my current to my new tariff

I wish I could escape from them
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Their tariff renewal page is dishonest. It quotes the rates for current and new tariffs, with the latter clearly higher, but mysteriously the projection is lower for the new tariff, as the projection is based on the SVR, not the actual tariff I'm on. This is just designed to mislead people. Show the actual price rise from my current to my new tariff

I wish I could escape from them

I understood you were on a white meter tariff?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5825731

I'm surprised there is any renewal, as most suppliers who are obligated to support legacy metering do so with a single, variable, never ending tariff.

However, if you do happen to have a fixed term tariff, then I suggest you pass all your comments to [EMAIL="consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk"]consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk[/EMAIL].

The supplier is not being dishonest, but rather simply acting under the directions of Ofgem.
    If you were able to switch to any other supplier (which you cannot), they would (should) act in exactly the same way.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    gareth71 wrote: »
    Switched to EDF last year (from BG) via MSE cheap energy club. The switch didn't really go that smoothly, but we got there in the end.

EDF then told me that the smart meters which BG had installed a short while beforehand weren't compatible with their systems, and were therefore useless.

HOWEVER ... the real problems were last month when I initiated a switch away from EDF to Tonik (again via MSE).

Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong.

Their estimate was way too low - based on the previous billed reading from last November, it would've suggested that I'd have spent most of last winter with my central heating switched off! Again, I explained this to them but they were having none of it, arguing the toss about how my reading couldn't possibly be right because it didn't tally with their estimate.

The customer service staff at EDF who deal with e-mails are totally useless - cut-and-paste responses, a patronising attitude, sometimes a tenuous command of the English language, slow to respond, no consistency as regards a point of contact.

Eventually I resorted to getting in touch with them via Twitter - at least this produced a response from a UK-based member of staff and they stepped in to get things moving for me. Even then, though, the contact centre staff didn't want to play ball and accept the reading. I even had an e-mail from one of them saying that the only way they'd accept what I was saying is if I sent them a photograph of the meter showing the reading and the serial number!

Effectively, they were stopping just short of actually saying straight out "sorry, but we think you're lying to us and won't believe you until you send us a photo of the current reading". Any company who calls their customers liars is definitely not one who I'd want to do business with!

Eventually (last weekend, a month after sending in my readings) they grudgingly accepted that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one and agreed to issue a final bill based on what I'd submitted to them.

I tend to shop around every year or two to keep my energy bills low, and change supplier to whoever offers the best deal at the time. However, there's no way on the good earth that I'd ever take my business to EDF again. They're a bunch of clowns.
    EDF are not in a position to dispute a closing read as it has nothing to do with them, or in fact the new supplier even though you supply them with it, as that read is sent through a third party industry verifier. I am just leaving them so we shall see how it goes.
  • Consumerist
    molerat wrote: »
    EDF are not in a position to dispute a closing read as it has nothing to do with them, or in fact the new supplier even though you supply them with it, as that read is sent through a third party industry verifier. I am just leaving them so we shall see how it goes.
    Thanks Molerat. I too am in the process of switching from EDF and was quite surprised to read of their tactics regarding final meter readings.

Forewarned is forearmed ! :)
  • Consumerist
    gareth71 wrote: »
    . . . Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong. . .
    I found an interesting <article> on the Octopus Energy site which explains the process for meter readings when switching supplier.

I suspect that a reading may have been rejected by the verifying body and not by EDF themselves, as they claimed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I found an interesting <article> on the Octopus Energy site which explains the process for meter readings when switching supplier.

I suspect that a reading may have been rejected by the verifying body and not by EDF themselves, as they claimed.

Just to add to the above:

Disputes can only be raised if the difference between the readings is sufficiently high. If the difference is more than 1200 kWh for gas, or 250 kWh for electricity, then the dispute can be raised; if the difference is within these values, the readings are deemed to be accurate, and the dispute cannot be raised. These are the values set by OFGEM, to regulate disputes.

It is worth pointing out that even with a 1199kWh discrepancy for gas there is no question of the consumer paying for the same energy twice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback