Three refuse to block future 3rd party payments

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's an interesting argument at which point the responsibility should lie. I think there's a responsibility on the L1 providers as well. They should bear responsibility for "their" services.

Alternatively, monies collected could be ring-fenced for, say 90 days to allow consumers to check their bills and raise disputes where necessary.

Other useful suggestion would make networks responsible for detailing the service providers contact numbers on bills where charges appear.

None of these will stop the problems totally, some customers use the services, then don't want to pay for them.
  • Martin50
    Martin50 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    From my viewpoint it would make a bit difference if the networks could bear some responsibility. I'm deeply uncomfortable about the idea of approaching a business to ask them for a refund where not only have I not knowingly had anything to do with them, but they appear to be responsible for the scam, and my hope is never to hear from them again once the refund has been provided. The network at least has some ongoing relationship with the customer and one would hope some interest in treating them honestly.
  • pmduk
    Options
    Martin50 wrote: »
    The network at least has some ongoing relationship with the customer and one would hope some interest in treating them honestly.

The network has no involvement between you and the websites you interact with.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MisterPC wrote: »
    My son spent a relatively small account (£30) on the Xbox store (he thought the phone was linked to his bank account) which I didn't realise you could do just from a phone number.

If your logged into your Microsoft account you can buy Xbox content and you can choose to pay using any Xbox credit you have or a payment card, didn't know there was another way.
  • Martin50
    Martin50 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    The network has no involvement between you and the websites you interact with.

For some values of 'no involvement'. They handle the money. I have a direct debit with the network, and the direct debit guarantee which offers me some protection if I am charged incorrectly is in the context of me dealing with the network. If the network is charging me through the direct debit on behalf of somebody else, then at least I would expect them to at least facilitate some process for dealing with cases where the charges are made erroneously. They don't, and I appreciate that at present there's no legal or regulatory requirement for them to do so, but it's a loophole that is enabling fraud.

If there's a security vulnerability which means that networks are collecting money on behalf of somebody with whom I haven't knowingly interacted, then I would hope that the networks would take an interest in that.
  • pmduk
    Options
    Then you need to take that up with your MP and ask him/her to get Ofcom to strengthen the regulator.
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just fallen victim to this, through one of the scams where someone gets your number and, unbeknownst to you, signs you up to some service, which 3 happily pays for by adding it your monthly bill.

I came on here to find out what can be done, as I've never come across this before.

I've repeatedly told 3 that I don't authorise them to make any third party payments on top of my monthly bill without seeking advance consent from me, but it seems that they are unable to do this.

I had no idea that 3 were participating and supporting this fraud of their customers. When you phone to complain, they even get you on a conference call with the scam company, and you are assured that they will look into it, you need to send an email etc. Nothing happens.

Not only that, but 3 don't then even stop new charges being applied. It's a disgrace.
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It seems the only outcome of complaining to 3 and 'Gamazing' (who are the scammers) last month, is that Gamazing have upped the charges they want to apply to my account to £13.50 this month, an increase from the £5 they were previously applying.

This is a nightmare. 3 are still saying that they can't do anything, so they can't even stop the payments to Gamazing. Am going to look at Virgin mobile and EE instead if they have the technology to prevent this.
  • paulmu
    paulmu Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    firebubble wrote: »
    It seems the only outcome of complaining to 3 and 'Gamazing' (who are the scammers) last month, is that Gamazing have upped the charges they want to apply to my account to £13.50 this month, an increase from the £5 they were previously applying.

This is a nightmare. 3 are still saying that they can't do anything, so they can't even stop the payments to Gamazing. Am going to look at Virgin mobile and EE instead if they have the technology to prevent this.

Unfortunately, the way that this works at present, the consumer is expected to deal directly with the scammer. It is the same on all networks. I completely agree that this is wrong, but I do suggest that you follow these steps to deal with unsolicited payforit transactions. Once you are hooked by a payforit scam, none of the networks will help you.
    The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):
    1. Stop further charges being made
    2. Get a refund of any charges already taken
    3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority
    4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams
    It is true that Three are unable (or unwilling) to block 'payforit' payments. Some other networks claim to be able to do this, but so far only O2 have given me an assurance that they have this ability.

In my view third party 'payforit' transactions should be barred unless the consumer asks for the bar to be removed. Most scammed consumers aren't even aware of 'payforit' until they fall victim.

Happy to help anyone who has a problem with a payforit scam. Contact me through http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Paul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport