PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wednesday that is one busy day you've had there! I bet you feel very satisfied with the great results.

I kondo'd a spare double sheet to one of my lovely clients. She damaged one of hers and only has one spare!

I am biding my time. I am desperate to move a model boat from my living room to an alcove in the bedroom. I am sure I have mentioned this before! I am already in trouble because I have moved 2 pictures round, and I have relocated a shell wallhanging.
    DH got really cross because it might cause damage to the walls when i knock another picture hanger in (I used the same hanger for all the items but one does need to be moved higher, so any holes will be hidden by the object :) The walls in our old house are far from pristine, AND any decorating is my job! He overreacted because he was in bad mood (his football team lost!).
    So, I have to wait a while longer. It is a shame because i have finally got the living room looking good, after 27 years here :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Shout out to GQ! Are you having fun??
    Right, need to kondo some veg into soup.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Right - bag of clothes and some plants delivered to our jumble today. A total of £700 raised ( supplemented by yours truly slaving in the galley making bacon butties) Everything not sold was bagged up and club members invited to take a bag to donate to their favourite CS. Win Win all round!
    DH got my Mums small sewing table from the loft for me so that will be going to the hospice craft shop tomorrow ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Is GQ kondoing seed potatoes on her allotment or will there be another instalment of Tales from the Family Homestead?
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Shout out to GQ! Are you having fun??
    Right, need to kondo some veg into soup.
    :o I've been at the parental homestead from mid-aft on Good Friday until just after lunch today, have been reading along with you but couldn't get onto the forum as couldn't remember my log-in! How embarrassing. I even had an email from the mse gods to tell me that 'someone' was trying to access my log in - mailed back admitting that was me! :o

Back home now. On Friday, Dad drove up to the city and we planted the spuds and did a couple of other things before the rain started, then skedaddled off to the family home. I've not been too well lately (condensed version, nagging hip pain is prolly osteo-arthritis) and haven't felt like doing too much other than hobbling around like a female version of Jake the Peg.

:p OK, was swigging sherry not rum, but feeling a bit bleugh plus Mum told me she didn't want me pulling stuff around (I'd had a cunning plan to tackle the china cupboard) but that has gone on the back-burner indefinately.

Parental home is (relatively) tidy atm, which surprised me muchly!:rotfl:

We didn't draw the baulks up over the spuds as the soil was wringing wet, it's been raining here pretty much non-stop for a week or more. I shall do that over the next week or so, then Plot1 can mind its business for a fortnight while I show Plot2 some cold steel.

Am pleased to have got a few bits & bobs out of the flat and over to theirs. One of the things was a brand-new-from-a-chazzer potholder, to replace one of theirs which was rather crispy round the edges due to a close encounter with the gas stove. I now have the crispy one, will launder it and add it to the rag pile. Mum very pleased with the new one.

I have also decided that my Berghaus waterproof jacket, from 2011, which has lost its waterproofiness and whose zip is failing, will be discarded. Not before I've got the velcro bits off the zip placket, mark you, but I do use my sewing salvage for other jobs, so it's not justin.

Righty, on with a cuppa and some leftover Easter cake.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ, :hello: glad you have taken it easy for a few days. Hope the hip settles down.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    GQ, :hello: glad you have taken it easy for a few days. Hope the hip settles down.
    :) You and me both, hun. GP spoke as if one just chomps on painkillers until one gets to the happy stage of needing a replacement hip. Deep joy. I shall do summat like tai chi/ yoga/ pilates to try and help myself as much as possible. I'm not having a wonky hip, I might need to kick someone's behind and I need to be able to stand on one leg to do that.:rotfl:

:p Mind you, there are some positives, he did tell me I shouldn't go running. I gave him a look and pointed out I haven't run anywhere since I left school (and I only ran then under duress). Nice to know I have a get-out-of-jail-free card if anyone tried to suggest I take up jogging (mimes spitting with disgust at the very idea).
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pity the poor blokes who have been tackling our water problem, they've been outside for about 7 hours now and we still have no water. Good job I went and bought 6 litres this morning and that there's only 2 of us and 3 toilets in this house. They say they will get it fixed tonight. We've had endless water company vans up and down the street but in the main, just two blokes down the hole. This interspersed with Openreach going backwards and forwards trying to sort somebody else's phone problem.

The washing up is piling up a bit. Fortunately lunch was soup I made yesterday and dinner only required some water for boiling veg as the dish had tinned tomatoes to provide liquid.

Hope it's sorted soon, if only for the poor blokes outside in the dark.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ I know you are tall like me. I've had hip trouble from time to time and apparent!y its caused by the piriformis muscle that controls the lateral movement. If you think it may help there are a number of exercises that help relieve it on 'tinternet very similar to yoga movements. HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) You and me both, hun. GP spoke as if one just chomps on painkillers until one gets to the happy stage of needing a replacement hip. Deep joy. I shall do summat like tai chi/ yoga/ pilates to try and help myself as much as possible. I'm not having a wonky hip, I might need to kick someone's behind and I need to be able to stand on one leg to do that.:rotfl:

:p Mind you, there are some positives, he did tell me I shouldn't go running. I gave him a look and pointed out I haven't run anywhere since I left school (and I only ran then under duress). Nice to know I have a get-out-of-jail-free card if anyone tried to suggest I take up jogging (mimes spitting with disgust at the very idea).

Is your GP certain it is osteoarthritis GQ? I have had a similar problem over the last few months :( eventually got to see the GP who sent me for an xray. Turns out the joint is fine and it is probably a cartilage issue or similar which will just need physio :T Naturally there is a waiting list for that, but while I was waiting for the xray I found some exercises on the Arthritis Research UK web site, and they are helping. I was able to go for a short walk today without limping / staggering for the first time for ages.

There is lots of info on https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/common-aches-and-pains/hip-pain.aspx

I found it informative and helpful (even though I don't actually have the condition - apparently the joint is good for my age, and there are only slight arthritic changes :)) It has been very painful though, mainly just to walk as opposed to all the time. Trouble is, I have piled the weight on due to being pretty immobile for all that time, and will have to work hard to shift that :(
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) He got me to lie on the examination table, bent my right leg up at the knee and leaned it in various directions. All were good apart from inward where I yelled with pain.

I have pestered for an X-ray to confirm diagnosis and am awaiting the hospital letter with that appt. I am also under the care of a Bowen Technique pratictioner who is also a physiotherapist and also an Alexander tutor and he wanted me to get an X-ray to eliminate the joint as the cause. Muscles, tendons, fascia, he can deal with but, as he points out, the hip joint itself is a sealed unit and he can't see or reach inside there.:(

I have some exciting exercises to while away the hours. I find pain 24/7 tedious but what really freaks me out is my right leg nearly collapsing under me at times - very disconcerting.

I shall not quail, howsomever, I am a big stroppy woman with a will of iron and I shall overcome.:j
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was watching some documentaries on Netflix yesterday and I realised Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things was on there. I really liked it and found it very inspirational. I have read their books and their blog before, but not for a while and it was nice to refresh my memory.

I think Ryan is cute as well.:A
    Wednesday that is one busy day you've had there! I bet you feel very satisfied with the great results.

It was very satisfying!:) I think I get a boost of energy when the clocks go forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure