PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Popped into Air Ambulance shop and found a White Stuff lined mini skirt.
    Sort-of tweedy with a lovely pattern and a contrast hem.
    Label says 'dry clean only'. But we don't take any notice of that. Do we, ladies?
    So - dolly - how much did it cost?
    Yes! You're right. :T
    £1.00 :D
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Label says 'dry clean only'. But we don't take any notice of that. Do we, ladies?

Well, I don't. But then I'm a gent.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    MovingForwards - shame about the sofa but overall you've done very well. I buy secondhand partly for money saving reasons but mainly because it is sustainable so your post makes me really happy. It is a good job I don't have a large barn as I would take up re-homing furniture, I have a particular love of 1930's/40's bedroom furniture.

Pollycat - I ignore Dry Clean Only too, they always come out of a gentle wash just fine.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,886
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thrilled to bits with my finds this afty......:j

Firstly in the BHF shop I got a Country Casuals skirt for £2.79. Linen & viscose mix in an abstract pattern of squares & stylised flower shapes in shades of various greens and navy.Fully lined and a perfect fit...straightish over the hips with a flippy out calf length hem. Then on to the community shop where firstly, in a box of jumbled up stuff outside, I spotted a small cube shaped plain lacquer box about 4" across and deep. Obviously is a jewellery box for small items and has a mirrored lift up lid with a place for rings and earrings then a small drawer underneath for other small stuff. Bit dusty but perfectly clean cream suede inside. Priced at £1.50. Had to have it as I already have the much larger version which is now overflowing. Then in another box of jumbled up stuff I found a brand new Lonely Planet travel diary for 75p, (sticker still attached of £17.99!). Not sure if I will use it or gift it? Then inside the shop my eyes fell on a pair of Xavier, Bohemian lead crystal candlesticks in an Art Deco stylee. Just what I have been looking for to match a beautiful Art Deco candle holder I got a while back. £2.50 for the pair and in perfect condition. Just spent a happy half an hour spritzing and polishing the candlesticks and lacquer box with anti bac spray....I always like to get rid of other people's fingerprints and 'make' the items my own!!! :o
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Had an absolutely bumper day today! I wanted to go into Rayleigh again to have a look around and I got so lucky! :T

From the Dog's Trust
    A navy floral Simply Vera Wang (from Khol's) sleeveless blouse with waterfall frills - £6. Perhaps a bit expensive, but it is pretty and exactly what I wanted for my cousin's birthday barbecue next week

From Sue Ryder
    A Two Danes t-shirt dress in a grey and black geometric print- £4. Will look very nice belted at the waist with a pair of loafers. They seem to be a 'cool person' brand. I am not cool in any sense of the word, but I did like this dress :p
    A red cashmere jumper- £3.50. There is no brand on this but it is in very good condition and extremely soft so I am happy
    A red Hobbs light trench coat/mac - £10. It is in immaculate condition and goes with every item in my wardrobe so I am very pleased. It will be incredible for Spring and Autumn
    A pair of kitten heel, black suede Bally court shoes- £4. I originally picked these up because they reminded me of the classic Manolo Blahnik court shoe, though they had hideous gold decorations on them (silver/white gold/platinum are the superior metals :p). I immediately noted that they were really nice quality and barely used, plus the gold decorations were actually clip on earrings so I just took them off. I have now disinfected them on the inside and they are catching the last of the sun to kill bacteria on the outside of the shoe.

Not a bad day at all
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Four pairs of jegging/ stretchy jeans, TU, ASOS, New Look and George, all £1 each at local hospice charity shop outlet.

The amount of floor time etc with two kids under two means these will be great once the weather cools lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • dolly84
    Forumite
    Miro - wow to those candlesticks.

I got a Hobbs skirt, navy blue with a white stripe, deep waistband to hip level then full skirt with occasional pleat, fully lined, knee length in gorgeous thick fabric. It will be great with a white t shirt and white converse in summer and tights and heels in winter - £2.50.

DD got 2 pairs of Nike Dri Fit running tights, one black pair and one dark green patterned pair - £2.99 each, great for winter as they are nice thick fabric. DH picked up a Next copy of the Joules polo shirts for £2 and DS got a Topman checked flannel shirt for £2, a pair of dark wash denim shorts with turnups for £3 and a H&M sweatshirt with an unusal neckline and printed front for £2.50.

• dolly84
    Forumite
    I forgot I also got DS 3 Hype t shirts for £2 each, very pleased as these are a rip off new and very expensive on ebay pre-owned too.

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Saw a seasalt top in Barnardos Blackburn, three quarter sleeves, breton-ish stripes & thought, give it a pop. Turns out organic (!), reversible to pink & white (!!) & whilst charming frankly a bit tight on me. Still, shall wash it & offer it to m'lady mother who knows & loves her seasalt stuff. It'll probably engulf her but she can wear it as a top layer, or re-donate it.

It did come from next months paycheque, ahem, but the staying in budget on the running shoes meant the other pair wasn't as big a deal. The seasalt thing comes under the cup of coffee pretext, and "nice gift" budget if not....

Miword. You know how a garment looks natural & inevitable & absolutely right on someone? Mum's worn it pink striped then blue striped & both ways looked absolutely stunning. It fits exactly as the designer intended & she is delighted. Me, I'm about ready to faint both with the heat down here & the relief. The idea of her regifting it anywhere has receded into an alternate reality, and indeed how it came to me is clearly a garment that knew where it wanted to be!
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Popped into Air Ambulance shop and found a White Stuff lined mini skirt.
    Sort-of tweedy with a lovely pattern and a contrast hem.
    So - dolly - how much did it cost?
    Yes! You're right. :T
    £1.00 :D

Not at all - ditto 'hand wash only', I'm not likely to pay for dry cleaning/do hand washing anyway so I take a chance on the machine and if it ruins it, well it wouldn't have been any use to me anyway, and 99% of the time it washes just fine :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure