y-cam homemonitor ending free cloud recording

Comments

• Even 48 hrs free would be useful at least things get recorded and have an option to download. But besides the point ... I bought the cameras based on 7 day free for life... as advertised. They are trying to make us a victim jf their success... even says so in the email.. so we build them up and they knock us down. F... CHARMING!
  • iDragon
    iDragon Posts: 18 Forumite
    They really should offer option of a firmware to at least let you save recordings to your own cloud storage or such.. not very impressed.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 December 2017 at 10:31AM
    on amazon at present stating 7 day rolling storage?

says also in description "free storage for 3 years"??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Y-cam-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Security-Camera/dp/B072J4F9GY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512120371&sr=8-2&keywords=y+cam

• I called them and, like others, had no joy in getting them to refund me.
    I'm going to draft a claim for money claim online and will post the text here.
    What I could do with some help with is a copy of the original advertising as I threw my boxes away some time ago. All of their online advertising now refers to the new paid service albeit I've managed to screenshot an amazon page that refers to the old free storage.
  • ballyblack
    thank u 'cynical git'

I bought from Amazon about 3 years ago
  • dollarspender
    dollarspender Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 December 2017 at 1:36PM
    Cynical git - You can use wayback machine website (web dot archive dot org) to get the website snapshot at the time you bought the cameras. When I bought mine the number one feature mentioned was "7 days free forever secure online cloud-based recording"
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd be very surprised if the company didn't cover themselves in the original T&Cs. Something along the lines of "This offer may be amended or withdrawn at any time". Whether that could then be construed as an unfair contract term is a separate question.
  • ballyblack
    This is what I received yesterday;

Over 11 years ago, we started Y-cam with a vision to make home security smart, easy and affordable for all. This vision led us to offer the world’s first camera with 7 day rolling free cloud storage in 2012. It was a bold step but required a certain number of customers subscribing to the optional Y-cam Plus service to cover the costs of providing 24x7 storage, video processing, app and security upgrades, development and support for the growing base of Y-cam users on our platform. Today that platform hosts and processes over 2 million videos per day which is testament to the popularity and success of the Y-cam service, however that comes at a cost.

With some of our customers now having their cameras connected for over 5 years combined with a growing requirement for app and security updates, there is an ever-increasing monthly cost, but insufficient income from camera sales and the optional Plus subscription to cover these operating costs.

We have endeavoured to provide our cloud camera service and support without making a monthly subscription mandatory. However, it is no longer possible to continue without requiring a monthly fee to cover the cost of providing a service for Y-cam cloud camera users. After much deliberation, we must reluctantly inform you that 7 day cloud storage will be limited to 1 year with effect from date of activation, and a subscription of £2.99 per camera per month will be payable thereafter for continued use of the Y-cam cloud service

This change is effective from 30th November 2017
  • plunet
    plunet Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The following URL links to the T&Cs as they were in 2016.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160619153022/https://monitor.y-cam.com/terms_condition

I think I still have at least one box, maybe two at home - will be either from an Indoor HD or Outdoor camera, I will try to have a hunt around and see what I can find and photo it.
  • ballyblack
    edited 1 December 2017 at 3:04PM
    from 2014 Ycam Home Monitor Quick Start Guide

xm5x4y.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income