PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Happy to report that my quinoa accident has been dealt with, I made some cookies, a sort of cross between a brownie and a cookie, not that sweet but they'll be eaten. I also made some patties, ended up with 2 large which I will have for tea along with the l/o remoulade and a side salad and there's 4 small which I will probably freeze. I have to say they are quite delicious and in the future I may well cook too much quinoa again :D.

purpleybat wrote: »
    just a question.... are they old? I had some that were a couple of years old and they took forever to get soft, I was told it was cos they were considered the oap version of pulses. I didn't think it mattered.

Not old got them in L!dl couple of months ago, think I'll get a different brand next time.
    caronc wrote: »

That's the one :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lovely food for this type of weather. It sounds pretty much the same as the steamed jam suet puddings that my mum used to make when we were kids :). Something else to add to my nostalgic food cravings. No doubt I'll be making this in a couple of weeks:D.
    The mix is 2 parts flour to 1 part suet, so I've always just kept a special airtight box in the cupboard and tipped in a whole 500g bag of flour and a box of Atora.... then the s0ds changed the box size a few years ago, it's now just 200 grams... so now I weigh out 400 grams of flour and tip the suet in. Then it's ready mixed.... I just give the container a shake, then run the spoon round and scoop out how much I want to make... easy peasy. I can get through about 600 grams/year like that, 1-2 heaped tablespoons at a time. Sometimes with a stew, sometimes sweet.
  • PasturesNew
    All this talk of quinoa, I thought I'd flag something up for those who aren't that interested ... or who "didn't know that" yet.

It's mostly grown in south america. In the UK a farm in East Anglia was looking to diversify and realised that they could grow it here. Interestingly (you have to snigger), quinoa is grown here and most typically found in wild bird seed mixes :) So the growers investigated it and started growing it on their farm, organically of course.... and it's full food grade stuff. So people will soon start harping on about "locally sourced" and "eco friendly" home produced quinoa ....

For me .... it's fad stuff... eaten by food bloggers on the Internet so they get more readers/viewers to their blogs. Once they've got enough income I wonder if they actually cook it ....then open the window and toss it out for the birds :) ...and get a pie from the freezer to eat for real.
  • PasturesNew
    Sticklers for etiquette, look away now ....

I toasted two halves of a muffin and spread jam on them... trotted through to the sofa, sat down - and pulled my leg blanket over my legs, upsetting the jammy muffins with jam landing on the cushion ...and on my bare leg. I scooped up what I could from my leg and flicked it back onto the muffin ... then trotted off to get a wet wipe to deal with the cushion/blanket mess, sticky leg and sticky hands.

Then I ate the muffin halves :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I toasted two halves of a muffin and spread jam on them... trotted through to the sofa, sat down - and pulled my leg blanket over my legs, upsetting the jammy muffins with jam landing on the cushion ...and on my bare leg. I scooped up what I could from my leg and flicked it back onto the muffin ... then trotted off to get a wet wipe to deal with the cushion/blanket mess, sticky leg and sticky hands.

lol :rotfl: :rotfl:. At least you didn't waste anything :).
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    lol :rotfl: :rotfl:. At least you didn't waste anything :).

She might have done …. there's no talk of licking the leg and fingers :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, I think there is confusion between bread pud & bread & butter pud.

Mine is bread pud, yours is B & b pud

HH, I use one of my own, but it is based on everyone's ideas. There are no hard & fast rules and it is always edible

Make a pot of strong tea, if you fancy it use Earl Grey for instance
    Any type bread, [maybe not cheese & onion though] any quantity, torn, cut or blitzed into a large bowl
    As much dried mixed fruit as seems sensible, like a handful

Put MF in jug, pour enough tea over to just cover. Leave to soak while you get on with the rest

Pour rest of tea over the bread, not enough to drown it, but enough to soak it. Any excess tea, make a cuppa

There are variations here, use orange juice for some of the soaking liquid, can't say I've noticed difference but who knows

Another variation , add a good table spoonful of black treacle to the bread

Mix the bread up into a squidgy slurry, either hands in, or use a masher

Add one beaten egg, the MF mix, and however much sugar you thing you will like. I use about a table spoonful but I do not like it too sweet. Less if using treacle of course

Mix in about 2 teaspoons or so of mixed spice, more if you like spicy. I also add some powdered ginger. All optional

Then pour into a greased flat tin, I use a Pyrex roasting dish

For a bit of a fancy make tram lines in the top using a fork, Either sprinkle with sugar, or nut meg, or cinnamon or whatever you fancy. I use sugar & grate a nutmeg on top

Pop in oven, gas 4, about an hour. You can tell if done if it is firm & top is brownish. It may take longer depending on how much bread / liquid you started with

I never make the same one twice, but as long as it basically follows the above it works, and it finishes up on your hips
    That's basically how I used to make it though I like a bit of ground ginger in it. Not made one for years, probably just as well as now I'm CFO I'd scoff the lot:o

I would have as well;):D

MTSTM - I've cooked rice in the SC but mainly in things like soup. I found just as rice it went a bit claggy despite being well washed before cooking.

Need2bthrifty - glad you solved the spare quinoa dilemma:cool:

My "lurgy" has decided it is going to be the "gift that keeps on giving" and has played silly beggars with my balance, so I've done very little today. Lunch ended up being crumpets and tinned soup.... I've decided I don't really fancy juggling boiling pasta and CBA fishing it out so dinner is now a gammon steak with pineapple, a flat mushroom and either a baked spud or oven chips as it can all go in the oven.
    A storm is really building here so I'm glad I'm inside, I've just popped the heating on as despite a top, a jumper and a bodywarmer I was still chilly. I'll worry about the gas bill in the spring:D
  • All this talk of quinoa, I thought I'd flag something up for those who aren't that interested ... or who "didn't know that" yet.

It's mostly grown in south america. In the UK a farm in East Anglia was looking to diversify and realised that they could grow it here. Interestingly (you have to snigger), quinoa is grown here and most typically found in wild bird seed mixes :) So the growers investigated it and started growing it on their farm, organically of course.... and it's full food grade stuff. So people will soon start harping on about "locally sourced" and "eco friendly" home produced quinoa ....

For me .... it's fad stuff... eaten by food bloggers on the Internet so they get more readers/viewers to their blogs. Once they've got enough income I wonder if they actually cook it ....then open the window and toss it out for the birds :) ...and get a pie from the freezer to eat for real.

I regard it as high protein, versatile, useful personally.

As I understand it - the move to start growing it here is because those of us in the West are pushing up the prices of it for people in the countries it normally grows in (ie because we are increasing the demand for it). This is a problematic situation and many of us are caught in that cleft stick of wanting to have it and not wanting those in these countries to have higher prices because we want it too.

Hence the move to grow it here - then, hopefully, their prices can go back down again and we can get our quinoa we want. Thus a win win situation if that works out.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mmm, the roast lunch was yummy yesterday.

I had two slices of seeded toast with the last of my olive spread just now. I'm trying to eat up everything in the fridge freezer before we order the new one.

I also had a kiwi, a banana and a glass of chocolate soya milk.

I'm bringing a packet of crisps and an apple with me today as last week I ended up buying a sandwich at Pret because I was hungry.

I'm not sure what lunch will be, it will be a late one so I might just decide when I get in.:)
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    ...juggling boiling pasta and CBA fishing it out ...
    I nuke it. In the past I've bought a couple of "steam meals" from the supermarket, which come in a long/deep dish with high sides. I kept the dishes and use those.... but any deep dish will do.

Toss in the pasta, cover, just, with boiling water (and/or splash of oil and salt), nuke for 2 mins, stir, add a dribble more water if required, repeat 3-4x until it's cooked.

Then you're just dealing with a small/lightweight dish,with minimal water. If you've the right sort of collander, you can just toss the whole dish into the collander to drain and then pick it out again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure