We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Beckyy, poo management is the bane of my life. Winter was a poo/mud combo and last year we cut the grass regularly but now there is no grass left and once we stop putting straw down we will have poo fest again.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

On the plus side, the grass that is still in the ground is very green :T
  • Same here re poop management. We just sweep the concrete areas and use a spade (kids old seaside bucket and spade type) to manually pick the areas worst affected, Time consuming I know.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Trust me, chicken poo is nothing! We have three huge dogs and poo patrol for these is 100% worse. Our chickens run in the orchard and I'm afraid we just mow it in. You can't do that with dog poo _pale_ Last year, I had a nasty incident with the leaf sucker that shreds and mulches the leaves as you go....got the picture...? Chicken poo is washed off patios easily with a hose and broom. Visitors to the orchard take their chances!

I have exciting news - we collected a cockerel and three hens from my SiL yesterday. She has a huge free-range egg farm and 10K birds. Occasionally a rogue boy bird gets through the sexing process and has to be *ahem* removed from the flock. I'm such a softie that I said we'd take one and save him from being made into a pie.

Foggy is a beautiful red and black cockerel and although he's still quite young, he was crowing his little heart out this morning, bless him. We took three girls too, so he wasn't on his own and now have a white hen called Penny, a lavender skinny one called Violet and a dark glossy brown and ginger one called Clarrie. 8 girls for our new lad to keep in order. Good luck to him!

They are currently in a new run next to the main enclosure in the orchard, so they can all get used to each other for a few days.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    We use a wide decorators scraper on the concrete path to scoop up the worst of it and then sweep the path down every day. The stoned area does not need poop picking because it washes through the stone when it rains. We wash the path down once or twice a week and scrub it with a hard broom. We are fortunate that our garden slopes so when we throw buckets of water down the path it heads towards the soak-a-ways we put in so there are no nasty smelly puddles left anywhere. There is no grass left in their area at all now because they have wrecked it but they do spend the winter on our lawn which we then have to re-seed every spring.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Hi everyone, so sorry to hear of all your losses. I lost one of my little leghorn muggers too last week. She had been laying softies for ages (due to old age) and I think she had egg peritonitis. My last little mugger is really missing her friend.
    The rest of the gang have discovered the delights of the lawn (much to my OH's horror) so I have to de -poo it once they have gone in. Upto now they have gone into the wood but that is covered in bluebells so not very easy to scratch in. I just have a bucket and an old slotted spoon and spatula for poo picking. It's a pain to do but if left it will burn the grass.
  • We have 3 dogs and 4 horses too so I spend most of my day face down looking at poo LOL!!!

I added 7 chicks to our flock last night, almost a week old. A rejected gosling is in with them (that's a day old) and they snuggle under him/her so I'm hoping they will be ok for now!

Mowing chicken poo into the grass will no doubt be good for it so I think that's something worth doing :) we do it with the horse muck (in a fashion) and poor DH picks up the dog poo as he gets in before me :)
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2016 at 8:05PM
    Hi all

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying their lovely fresh eggs.

I have a WHO DONE IT on my hands here. To explain:- every year when our veg growing is finishing at the end of the season we open the veg garden gate and allow our girls to forage on the veg beds Also when the tomatoes and cucumbers are finished in the greenhouses we leave the doors open slightly so the girls can go in them over the winter months to have a dry dust bath, At the side of my 2 greenhouses I have a small Polly tunnel which I store all my gardening trays and pots in etc.. At the end there is some shelving with all my veg trays on which are from floor to the ceiling. At the bottom there are a stack of trays and nearly everyday we have found a lovely little brown egg in the lower stack. That's fine they can lay their eggs wherever they like. But, now we are coming to the summer months we have to claim our veg garden back which we have recently done and about a month later we claim our greenhouses back. Are you still with me? :rotfl: Bit of a long story I know but this puzzle needs solving.

Anyway even though the veg garden is closed off to them we are till finding an egg in the Polly tunnel. So it looks as though one of my hens is jumping over the gate, walking to the Polly tunnel and laying her egg and then jumping back again. She is not touching any of the seedlings (YET) in the veg garden. Is she clever or what????

We have 25 hens so which one is doing it???? Do we have to sit up there all day waiting to find out who the culprit is?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received :rotfl:

Getting around 18 eggs a day from the hens and 2 to 4 from the ducks at the moment.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Edwink - can you supply us with a 'rogues gallery' so we can decide who is the most likely suspect? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Edwink, your post made me laugh! The odd places where we found eggs over the years: under the lawnmower - yes, UNDER! One girl made a nest in dip of a tarpaulin covering a wood pile, I found 27 eggs in there!
    My recommendation is the only thing that has worked here....when I had the suspicion that one was laying astray I tried to follow them carefully. Just keep the fence in sight and you might see her jump! The culprit tends to shoot off like a rocket once the house door is opened, trying not to be seen at the same time of course! Trouble with this approach is....pray for good weather and you might need a lot of stealth and patience!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback