Low Carb Diets Support Thread

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Pamsdish, be careful about not eating till way into the day. I have been told that you should eat just after getting up to kick start your metabolism, otherwise your body is running on empty, having not eaten for, say, 18 hours by the time it gets to mid afternoon.

The only time I ate very little for 2 days on Atkins I didn't lose an ounce!

On the other hand, there are lots of people who use Intermittent Fasting to improve their health and control their weight.

You have to find what suits you.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2016 at 9:03PM
    Your body needs water to process calories. If you are even mildly dehydrated, your metabolism may slow down. In one study, adults who drank eight or more glasses of water a day burned more calories than those who drank four. To stay hydrated, drink a glass of water or other unsweetened beverage before every meal and snack. Also, snack on fresh fruits and vegetables, which naturally contain water, rather than pretzels or chips. (Excerpt from Web.MD.com)

Spicy foods have natural chemicals that can kick your metabolism into a higher gear. Cooking foods with a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili pepper can boost your metabolic rate. The effect is probably temporary, but if you eat spicy foods often, the benefits may add up. For a quick boost, spice up chili, and stews with red pepper flakes. (Web. MD. com)

What are scratchings? (I'm American)
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Mila,

excellent advice about hydration, thanks!

'Scratchings' are deep fried pork rinds, sold in packets like you may have potato chips, which, of course, we call crisps! Divided by a common language :rotfl:

HTH

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My favourite brands-l1600.jpg
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sorry I have been AWOL.

Had a very difficult week. Struggled with my car crash injuries and have resorted to carb heavy meals. Today I have had cheese on toast for lunch and I'm now in agony with my IBS.

How stupid can you get. :rotfl:

I've taken some meds and will try and sleep it off.

So that's it now.......definitely no more grains and need to take more care.

Back to proper meal planning and being more organised. Not sure what I'll eat later. Probably - just couple of light snacks until my IBS settles.

When will I learn.

Lots of nice recipes on here. Love the sound of zabagalione.

I've bought a cauli so might use half to make a cauli cheese tonight and then cauli rice on Monday with a curry. Will definitely have to try cauli pizza.

Im getting quite good at making courgetti "spaghetti" now. Just need to try some Paleo friendly "baking".
  • Morning All

Been off low carb for ages. Successfully lost 3.5 stone over 8 months with low carb a few years ago and kept it for two years but gradually put most of it back on. I think this time I am going to try cut out processed foods, keep white flour items to a minimum but not eliminate fruit. Also going to cut down alcohol intake.

Have bought an exercise bike as keep finding excuses not to go to the gym but am going to keep gym membership going for now.

Good luck all.

HHx
  • pamsdish
    Forumite
    I was visiting rellies yesterday, 500 miles round trip, had burger chips and beans provided, not enjoyable, still just one day, just feel very windy and bloated today.
    I am planning a chicken salad for today as quite warm and get back on track.
    I eat little fruit at any time, maybe berries and yoghurt, I have some rhubarb so will make something with a low carb crumble topping for dessert. I often make a batch of yoghurt jelly, makes 6 portions,
  • Nisha_B
    Nisha_B Posts: 28
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's going well - I'm a week in and have lost 7lbs so very happy (even though most of it is water weight...still an encouraging start and a really good boost)

Saturday was a little difficult as we had people over for a BBQ and I was asked to make my oreo trifle - was a real test of willpower to not taste a morsel but I stayed strong and it was a big hit so that was good. Food wise, stayed on target - all meat, no bread, etc and must have had about 3L of water.

Today I managed to get ready quicker than usual so had time to make breakfast in the morning - opted for 2 chilli scrambled eggs. Now having my mid-morning snack of chicken and will have lunch around 2ish (chicken salad).

Has anyone ever tried protein world shakes or any other low carb meal replacement shakes? Am travelling all day on Wednesday for work and won't have time for a proper lunch - am thinking about a shake for lunch but don't want it to thwart my weight loss too much. Any suggestions for low carb things to eat on the go?
  • pamsdish
    Forumite
    scotch eggs made with low carb sausage, boiled eggs, cheese sticks or babybel, a salad in a throw away container, slices of ham wrapped around cheese slices, some of the flax crackers with cream cheese. I made a wrap type thing with seaweed sheets, nori, filled it with chicken and salad.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Nisha, not sure if this will suit your day but if I am working all day and cannot keep stuff chilled (travelling and the weather is hot etc) I pack some cheese and then buy a basic salad from the nearest supermarket. I grab a 15 minute break and enjoy the low carb, healthy lunch, especially as salad is so refreshing. HTH

This week we are staying with relatives so it takes extra willpower to keep on track as they are eating tiramisu (sugar free jelly n cream for me, I packed a few pots to be kn the safe side of temptation!)! We are off out today and they are planning fish n chips for tea. While the smell of chips is tempting the fact that if I even have a few I will not lose weight this week is enough to keep me away from them. I shall remove batter from fish and make a side salad to go with it!

For once I have managed time away AND stuck to low carbs completely. Previously I would cheat, only a tiny bit, but it really affects me so it is not worth it! Not if I want to get to my next target, which is 2 stone loss in total by end Aug. There will be more to lose but I am breaking down the total into 'managable chunks'! :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure