gap insurance for motor vehicles

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi patch2

I've merged your post to this thread as it has a lot of info that could be relevant to you, and will help furture searches.
    HTH
    savvy icon7.gif
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Does anyone know of any useful info/links for cheapest prices on the web for GAP Insurance/whether it's worth it? A lot of car dealers are now trying to sell this when you buy a reasonably new car - the purpose of the insurance being to cover the shortfall between what insurance companies pay out and the original cost of your car/outstanding finance (depending on what type of policy you take out) in the event of a total loss claim. The policies usually last for 3 years following a one off payment. I'm currently finding that the usual car insurance search engines don't cover any info on this.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Welcome to the boards. If you do a search of this board you'll find GAP insurance has been covered before, with a variety of opinions as to whether it's worth it or not - depends on whether you've got finance on the deal, what you'd do if the car was written off, etc etc etc.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hinchy
    hinchy Posts: 59 Forumite
    Son's bought his first car and was offered gap insurance at a premium of £96, can anyone recommend this ?(his insurance cover is TPF&T)
    I've never come across this before.
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    I am not very up on the normal T&Cs of GAP insurance - you would have to check to see if the GAP insurance would cover the finance if he was involved in a at fault accident which wrote off the car. Normally GAP insurance covers the difference between the insurance settlement figure and the outstanding finance but if you have TPFT insurance and in an at fault accident which writes off your car you would get no settlement from your insurers and so I dont know if the GAP will pay off the full value of the finance or if as insurance doesnt pay out then the gap insurance doesnt pay out.

Once you have cleared that one up then it is the basic question of all insurance (other than TPO/ RTA motor insurance which is compulsary) do you want to pay £x a year now but know that you wont have to pay out a large amount if something goes wrong or do you prefer not paying out anything now but potentially having to find a large sum of money if something happens.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    just to let you know £96 is very cheap for gap - its normally about £300. But how much was the car? is it new? is he financing it?
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A friend of mine, also an advisor on her had a volva s60 nicked off his driveway last year. claimed on insurance and had gap. He used the gap ins money and bought himself a lovely merc.

Its down to personal choice and your own attitude to "risk" but if its only £96 like nadine says its cheap enough and worth having in my opinion.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • hinchy
    hinchy Posts: 59 Forumite
    Ta for your opinions; the car is a used one bought outright @ £5000 and under 3 years old .Considering all his mates have pranged their cars £96 is small beer.
  • Can anyone recommend an independant GAP insurance for my new car?
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's GAP?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business