Craziest/most stupid reason you have been blocked?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    RFW wrote: »
    Interesting. Most of the lots I had offers on were mixed wholesale lots so there was usually a big scope on price. I'd say it was probably more a 70/30 split of those who went on to make bigger offers and those who don't.

I still occasionally get asked to make offers on trade stocks and the value to me is less than it would be to some other buyers so I'm always careful not to offend the seller with a bad offer. I usually explain first and see if they had a price in mind.

In my experience those who make the worst offers are the ones who can afford to make higher offers to start with.

I once did a warehouse clearance for a company that was a multi million pound operation, they bought and sold clearance stocks across Europe. They had boxes of rejection letters telling them their offers were stupid and wasting the time of the seller. It looked like they relied on the one in a hundred that accepted their offers. There are some sellers who will take anything to get rid of something, so chancers, unfortunately, do prosper.

I did once take a really daft offer- I'd bought a box of porcelain dolls in a rash moment at an auction (I hate porcelain collectors dolls) and this box just sat there and took up room and the dolls looked at me. Had very little interest as the doll market is dead, and eventually took an offer at about half of my BIN price as it covered my expenses and left a little profit. The buyer was an absolute nightmare though, one of those whinging types- she didn't like the courier cost and wanted me to send them cheaply uninsured and in small box that didn't allow for packing- so I refused. When they arrived she moaned again about how some of the hair was untidy, or the hats were askew or grubby (all as per the listing). She tried everything to get money back from me, including a false INR which I won. She actually admitted via ebay messages that she had bought them while drunk and had changed her mind- so I offered her a change of mind return which she refused as she wouldn't pay return courier costs.

She threatened me with negative feedback- but of course couldn't leave any as she had lost an INR case.

That put me off a bit, but in fairness it was probably the dolls that were the problem and not the low offer- but it tied me up for ages and I regretted not just cutting my losses and charity shopping them.

I still hate porcelain dolls, nasty nasty things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    s-l300.jpg
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    s-l300.jpg

You can see what I mean- that thing is definitely looking at me!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They had a "best offer" so I offered £15, adding that I knew it was originally x price.
    If you base your offers on what an item originally cost, how much would you offer for this item?:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1840-One-Penny-Black-1d-Small-Crown-Watermark-Letters-KK-Rare-Margin-Cut/183209803073?hash=item2aa827bd41:g:sukAAOSwMNVa7Mwq
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,578
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had a situation where the seller marked as despatched and sent 3 weeks later, order was also only partially complete.

When I complained I found myself being called unreasonable (because the value was low) and blocked.
  • Amazon are often rightly accused of being a race to the bottom for sellers.

but they do not do "make an offer". why's that then? :whistle:
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    SpammyTheSpammer Posts: 1,773
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Blockem & f''ck'm every time...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

That's completely different. I have no problem with collectors' items being sold for above their original worth but for example, someone selling a Primark item for 3x the original price takes the mickey and if you don't want to consider offers, don't have that option in your auctions. Simple.
  • I don't do "make an offer" but over the weekend I still had someone in France telling me that he was interested in a couple of items at half price If I also included free post & packing. needless to say he's blocked.

I don't give to beggers on the street. I'm not going to start doing it on eBay.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's completely different. I have no problem with collectors' items being sold for above their original worth but for example, someone selling a Primark item for 3x the original price takes the mickey
    Why is it "taking the mickey"?
    Any sensible seller is going to get as much as possible for their goods and if someone lists a Primark item for 3x the price they bought it for and someone is willing to pay it or close to it then all I can say is good luck to that seller.

Is it really any different to an auctioneer in an auction house trying to start the bidding at a price far higher than most people would be willing to pay?
    This is what often happens and whilst it's certainly true that in most cases the auctioneer has to keep lowering the starting amount until they get a bid, every now and again you do get someone jumping in and offering the first amount asked for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure